PDA

View Full Version : Turn Check Raise: My Best Play?

calvin
01-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Hello,

4/8, B&M--just sat down, and decide to post 2 off the button. No reads on any of the players. I am still taking my chips out of the rack when I look down and see AA. Folded to me, I raise. Button calls, both blinds come along; four to the flop.

Flop: A Q 7, two spades.

Blinds check to me, I bet, button raises, both blinds call, I call.

Turn: A Q 7 5, two spades.

Blinds check to me, I check, button bets, both blinds call, I raise, button folds, both blinds call.

River: A Q 7 5 T, two spades, both blinds muck before I can get my bet out after checking to me.

My raise preflop seems pretty standard, although with only 4 players left to act I could see why I might occassionaly check my option here.

On the flop, I believe my flop bet was very standard. Smooth calling the raise is something that I also almost always do when I have a very strong hand--especially headsup. In this case, I was afraid of the spade draw after both blinds called the three bets cold, so I decided to pop the turn. Comments on this decision?

On the turn, especially with no spade, I was looking to checkraise. Button bet as planned--I was surprised to see him fold for one bet though. With the blinds calling the checkraise, I was certain they had to be drawing still.

River play--I am not sure if I would have checked through if a spade hit, but I would have a hard time putting the blinds on anything other hand than the flush draw. When a blank came off, I had a very clear bet.

The flop smooth call, followed by turn checkraise and river bet seems to be my auto-strong hand play, especially when I am concerned about a flush/straight draw beating me. Curious to see any comments on varying this strategy--four betting preflop, betting into the button on the turn, trying for a check raise on the river if the flush card does not fall--as I was surprised lose the button on the turn for one more bet, and ended up collecting no bets on the river.

Calvin

Homer
01-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Against three opponents, two of whom have already coldcalled and will definitely see the turn for one or two more bets, I'm going to three-bet the flop with top set just about every time. This is especially true since there's only one player behind you. If you just call and go for the check-raise on the turn, you're taking a big risk of it being checked through.

If button had raised and the two blinds had folded rather than coldcalling, then I might call and go for a turn check-raise. Heads-up, your opponent is less likely to follow through with a free card play, plus you aren't making as much money by three-betting the turn as you would have been had there been other opponents still in the hand.

-- Homer