PDA

View Full Version : a question about wild games...

09-19-2001, 02:19 AM
in the advanced book it says..."if seven people come in for the max, you have very little in the way of implied odds. This means that once you are in a game where the pots are being constantly capped, you want to play hands similar to the hands that you would play if there was no betting on the flop."

my question is....does this mean you play your normal position hands. as if its a passive table. . meaning JQ suited in the late mid position or mid suited connectors on the button. etc.

i was recently in a game like this to which i played premium only, but remembered this passage and always wondered about it.

comments welcome...

09-19-2001, 12:13 PM
[] Small pairs and suited-connectors rarely win as often as the number of pre-flop players (they win less than their "fair share"). But they make up ground after the flop since they tend to make strong hands; thus they have good "implied odds" and are often worth raising. The more money that goes in BEFORE the better it is for the "fair share" hands and the worse it is for the "implied odds" hands.

All other things being equal, the more pre-flop raising the worse it is for these hands, and you should therefore play them less.

[] Trouble hands. Trouble hands are "good" when they are the "best" hand and pretty bad when they are not. They are "great" if you can consistently abandon them when they are probably beat and assert them when they are probably good. KQo is pretty profitable if you can confidently fold it before the flop AND can pass it ON the flop when it is beat. Pretty much you only play them if you intend to show it down when you make a pair.

In a ram-and-jam game, you lose your ability to distinguish the times they are beat and therefore they are over-all not worth as much as they are (when weilded by a reasonable player) in a more reasonable game.

[] In a ram and jam loose game, you need to play less draw hands AND less unsuited trouble hands then you would in a passive loose game.

- Louie