PDA

View Full Version : Preflop, flop decisions with AKo in SB, mutliway with an EP LAG raiser

bdk3clash
01-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Whew. That subject is a mouthful!

EP1 is a straight up LAG.

My doubts on this hand stem from my semi-cold call preflop and my play on the flop.

Should I have 3-bet preflop here? EP1 could have anything from a small pair to any two face cards, but given my poor position and the surprise value I could get if I flopped something, was smooth calling acceptable?

I typically 3-bet here preflop, but I thought there was some value in preflop deception here.

I was torn between betting out on the flop (which probably would have limited the field, since EP1 probably would have raised) and check-raising (which would trap the field for multiple bets.)

Betting out would have allowed me to see if EP1 was willing to cap the flop (if he raised I would have 3-bet), but check-raising allowed me to trap the field for multiple bets, so I could see merits for both.

Given the uncoordinated nature of the board (rainbow, no likely straight draws), I figured I'd roll the dice and go for a big pot.

Play on the turn and river seemed straightforward enough. I would have 3-bet EP1 if given the opportunity. If he capped I would have called down.

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
bdk3clash has K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is SB

EP1 raises, MP1 calls, CO calls, Button folds, bdk3clash calls, BB folds

Flop(9 SB): 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

bdk3clash checks, EP1 bets, MP1 calls, CO calls, bdk3clash raises, EP1 3-bets, MP1 folds, CO calls, bdk3clash caps, EP1 calls, CO calls

Turn(11 BB): 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif

bdk3clash bets, EP1 calls, CO calls

River(14 BB): J/images/graemlins/club.gif

bdk3clash bets, EP1 calls, CO folds

Results below in white:

<font color="white"> EP1 had KhTh, and MHIG.</font>

Lost Wages
01-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Looks fine on every street and your reasoning seems, well, reasonable. I don't like 3-betting AKo from the blinds to a non-steal raise in a multiway pot.

Lost Wages

el_grande
01-20-2004, 06:35 PM
I really like the play.

However, I don't think I would have 3-bet the turn or river as you mention you were willing to do. Capping the flop should slow down a LAG like this unless he has at least 2 pair. He would have to be an absolute maniac to raise the turn (and not beat top pair) after you capped the flop.

spamuell
01-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Looks good, would have played it the same way. I would sometimes 3-bet PF and sometimes just call. Calling is nice because of deception, and because if you hit, it's easier to checkraise, although against a LAG you're likely to be able to anyway.

JDErickson
01-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Well thought out play.

I'm wondering on the PF call though. It seems in your position The only player you may keep in is the BB. I think the 2 previous callers would call your raise anyway. If EP1 capped then they may decide to fold but I doubt it. I think I would have 3 bet BTF.

Flop play was excellent in my opinion. I need to identify more situations like this for the CR. I normally just bet out without looking at board dynamics.

Jim