PDA

View Full Version : Raising w/ Middle (or even bottom) Pair

09-18-2001, 03:14 PM
I recently read a section of Malmuth's new "Poker Essays III" that advised raising with middle pair in certain situations. As usual, a little knowledge is dangerous. I tend to overdue it. I've come to the following tentative conclusion as to when this should be done and would like other's input.

One should raise on the flop with middle, or even bottom pair, even when one knows they are currently beat, when the raise will have the effect of knocking players out (i.e., the initial bet comes from a player close to one's right) and one is drawing to a nut straight or flush. This is obviously the best situation.

More often, however, one would probably find oneself in various other situations. Should someone make this play when drawing to less then the nuts? How often and when should it be done when one has bottom pair? Should it be done on inside straights, or when drawing to the ignorant end of the straight. Also, should it ever be done when drawing to a runner-runner flush (i.e., a three flush on the flop)? How about an non-nut runner-runner? Finally, when should it be done when it is unlikely to knock players out?

I would like to know when other players might consider making this play, if they consider it all.

09-18-2001, 04:46 PM
I am interested in this as well. I rarely ever play bottom or middle pair unless I have other outs. I think that a raise with an 3 straight or flush draw with your pair could be profitable, If you believe that it could scare top pair into giving you a free card on the turn and I've even had them check to me again on the river with their top pair, this is a fine play. If you hit your hand then it will pay. If you get bet in to, I think you would have to release. I guess you would have to really know your opponents to make this play. What do the rest of you think? My opinion may be wrong so I'm anxious in hearing more.

G.

09-18-2001, 06:49 PM
You need to be very short handed to make this play. It's probably correct to raise with any pair on the flop if you are heads up, and also if you are 3 ways with no ace or king on the board. I think that most beginners (like myself) play too tight when there are only 1 or 2 opponents.