PDA

View Full Version : 0.5/1 dollar game

Christoferj
01-20-2004, 04:03 PM
im gonna deposit 100 dollars to play is that enough or shuld i put in more money i do not really have anymore..
because i bought some texas hold'em books and are a student !
im not in for the money just to get experince...
i have looked on some 0.5/1 games before and feel that i can play those games comfortable...

Trix
01-20-2004, 04:16 PM
When i first started i deposited 100 aswell, went to 18X and down to 0. I believe this to be becuz of bad play though, cuz I was in the army back then. Playing when tired and only during weekends...Also didnt have that much experience and played too many hands. After going broke i took a brake and started again in the beginning of this year.
Again with 100, Which i believe mostly should do if you are playing pretty tight and ofc are a winning player.
Ofc there are loosing streaks, but after 60 hours my largest have been 35BBs.
Good luck anyway.

Tosh
01-20-2004, 04:20 PM
This post really belongs in the micro limit forum.

The bankroll people generally consider to be right is approximately 300 BB, $300 in your case. If you can't afford that then I guess you can either play a lower limit or go with the $100 and accept you may go broke.

Christoferj
01-20-2004, 04:29 PM
well like a said i will play to learn and i have been looking like 3-4 hours without playing on 0,5/1 and i think i can take thoose tables

JDErickson
01-20-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well like a said i will play to learn and i have been looking like 3-4 hours without playing on 0,5/1 and i think i can take thoose tables

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone thinks this. Trust me it will be totally different when you are playing. Personally I deposited $300 before I started making a profit. It took that long to figure out the basics of how to play.

With $100 there is a very high probability you will go broke fairly quickly. If you are willing to risk this than give it a shot.

Jim

el_grande
01-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Slight nitpick- if he really has read WLLHE and follows it, plus the advice in this forum I don't think there is a HIGH probability of losing $100. There is a decent chance, yeah.

I started with $100 on Party, got plenty of suckouts and I still never got below $50. The tables are so easy there that the negative side of your variance is not that high.
I doubt you will see a downswing of more than 150BB, and chances are you will be up more than 50BB if you do see it.

Tosh
01-20-2004, 05:16 PM
I don't think the probability is high but it is there.

ScottTheFish
01-20-2004, 05:18 PM
I agree anyone who has read WLLH and FOLLOWS it, would have to have a pretty bad run of luck to lose $100 at .50/1 on Party. Not saying it couldn't happen. Obviously it could, but unlikely, IMO.

The problem is how many people actually read poker books and follow the advice? Everyone I play with in my home game have read WLLH and HEFAP. And they are all terrible. Not because the books are bad, but because IMO few people have the mental discipline to play the way the books advise.

I have a friend who has blown thru 5 $50 buyins because he refuses to play the way the books (and I) advise him. He thinks he is playing tight and according to WLLH, but the times I've watched him he's been loose/ aggressive/ borderline maniacal. I bet his story is pretty typical.

Playing good solid poker is boring as dirt to the average person. Thank goodnees! I don't want people playing good solid poker! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway, TBH if you are debating whether $100 is enough to play on because you are strapped for money, maybe online poker is not the best idea right now?

Christoferj
01-20-2004, 09:50 PM
well i have no problem to loose that money i can get more certainly... but im only having 100 dollar to spent right now so i have 2 choice play for free and wait for 200 dollars more and thats really sucks... or begin to play now i am a tight player im not just saying that but im a very tight low limit player.... i know you must be tighter at higer limits..

JDErickson
01-20-2004, 10:21 PM
You have other options at lower limits.

PokerStars has.25/.50 and .05/.10

Christoferj
01-20-2004, 10:26 PM
arent they better at poker stars ??? the players well bad question but all have said how easy it is too beat partypoker player well i will take a second look att pokerstars =) ....thanks for all answers !! and excuse me for bad english =)

Christoferj
01-20-2004, 10:28 PM
thanks for mention that you are right i will play at those games first =) well is pokerstars best or are there better ??

CBenfer
01-20-2004, 10:31 PM
I started on Party playing 0.5/1 with $50, and never had to go back for more. While most of that was dumb luck, I think you can last for a while at that limit if you know what you are doing. You certainly shouldn't expect to run through it quickly - so if you can back the money later on down the line I'd jump right in there and play it.

Just my two cents. Good luck to you.

Catch of the Day
01-20-2004, 10:35 PM
I think thats fine, I have played 50/1.00 for awhile if you are a decent player then you should be able to play those limits fine. Just dont over extend yourself by either playing multiple tables or after you make a few bucks moving up to say 1/2 stick around there and then get the feel, I recomend investing in poker-tracker as well.

Christoferj
01-20-2004, 10:40 PM
is a poker tracker a good call and how must do one cost ??

and im wondering should i play on poker stars 0.25 / 0.5 or partypokers 0.5/1 ??

when im done with 0.25/0.5 and wanna move up what is the best then go to partypoker or stay at pokerstars ??

In fact i dont know how good i am... so should i test the water on pokerstars first ??

BigBaitsim (milo)
01-20-2004, 10:53 PM
Also started at Party $.50/1 with $100. Ran it up to $300, then tried $2/4 and dropped $200. Went back to $.50/1 and dropped 87 BB to crash land at $12.50. Up about $2500 now from that $12. Stay very tight. Do not try to bluff at that level. The "schooling effect" of 8 fish seeing the flop means someone will hit their longshot J4o and your unimproved AA will be dead. I can afford to play more than $100, but that was the agreement with the wife, so I was more or less in your same position. Good luck and stay disciplined. Good poker is boring.

BugsBunny
01-20-2004, 11:08 PM
I Really need a partypoker account - can they be that easy?

Anyway the players on stars at the .05/.10 level are pretty bad - at .25/.50 they start improving a bit. At .02/.04 they are absolutely terrible.

If you start at .05/.10 for a little while and then move up after winning some money and getting your feet wet you should be fine.

Christoferj
01-21-2004, 03:49 AM
really want answer on this question. thanks.