PDA

View Full Version : Stars 3-handed JTs

Robk
01-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Good early AM game. Everybody is playing a few hands they shouldn't be, probably me included. The button raised, the SB called, and I called in the blind with JTs. SB info: plays significantly too loose preflop, but tricky/decent postflop. I've seen him reraise AJ in this spot, but call with A3 and things like J7s, etc.

The flop was A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. The SB checked and I bet. The button folded, the SB checkraised and I called. The turn was the J /images/graemlins/club.gif, the SB bet and I called. The river was the Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif, the SB bet and I called.

Any comments appreciated.

Manzanita
01-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Rob,

I would only bet the flop if I thought that there was a good chance of picking up the pot immedietly; that may be the case here. But when the SB check-raises I would usually give it up as you are almost always behind. The SB will almost surely bet the turn so it will cost you to pursue your draw. While you could have as many as 10 outs, you may have as few as 3. Finally, there are a lot of cards (e.g., a King, Queen, 7, 8, or a club) that could come on the turn which will make it tough for you to continue with this hand.

The Jack on the turn obviously helped. At this point you have to call the SB down.

-- Manzanita