PDA

View Full Version : I think this was a bad play

bad beetz
01-20-2004, 02:45 PM
20/40. very aggressive player on button. Very loose megas calling station in EP, who never raises PF and will call a bet on the flop with any two but can lay down to a raise.

I have 72o in BB.

Flop comes Q62 rainbow. Check check bet, I check raise, coldcall, call.

Turn comes something, I check, EP bets, call, I fold.

EP had Aces, I'm the worst player ever. My play got lots of lifted eyebrows because I hadn't done anything but bet for value in the last two hours, and the only three hands I showed were, yes, Aces-full.

Avarice
01-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Check-raising bottom pair no kicker against two other players when the pot is small sounds like a good way to get rid of some extra cash.

What do you do if EP folds and the bettor calls? Come out firing again on the turn? Again on the river, too? Why are you making plays to win this tiny pot?

Image isn't everything.

Ulysses
01-20-2004, 05:53 PM
How many times have you ever seen a button like this fold to a checkraise on a flop like this? I think he's almost always going to call, if only on principle.

So then you're stuck with deuces/7-kicker out of position on the turn. You found the right move, just one street too late.

Ulysses
01-20-2004, 05:56 PM
So, the "very aggressive player on the button" limped in pre-flop after one EP limper?

sweetzer
01-20-2004, 05:57 PM
There would definitely be style points for pulling off a 72o checkraise, folding everyone, then and showing the hand. And you would never be lonely in a poker game again. But for substance, I agree totally with Avarice relative to what do you do on the turn after you have made a play from early position on the flop, in this case without even a draw. By the way, to elicit comments from other players , did you actually show this hand once you folded, which to me is a more grevious mistake.

J.A.Sucker
01-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Why is his checkraise such a bad play? As I read the post, this is a limped pot 3 way with an aggressive better on the button. I'd checkraise this quite often, since he's gonna autobet. This is a ragged board, indeed. Sure, he's gonna call quite often, but then I'll fire again on the turn if headsup. Of course, I'm done with the hand once you get the third player in. Folding this is a good play, too. It all depends on the game and how I'm feeling, but saying that this is a "bad" play is insane.

bad beetz
01-20-2004, 09:42 PM
My thinking was right. Get shitty player out, and aggressive guy probably doesn't have top pair and lays down to turn bet.

But I think it's too much of a parlay for the pot which is small, and my hand blows.

But on the turn when I decided I was "done with the hand," I thought of you and I actually was, "done with the hand."

bad beetz
01-20-2004, 09:46 PM
I don't show.

Sometimes, I'll show at showdown when I have six-high or what not because maybe they'll misread their hands and acci-muck, which would be sweet. plus I make them have to show the bullsh*t they called with.

I think suckers and avarice's responses are two extremes. It's not nearly as bad as avarice makes it out to be assuming I follow through with the game plan, but I think I need (numbered by importance, 3. tiny bit better holding, 1. more money, 2. the bad player to be a smidgen tighter (he was mega loose).

bad beetz
01-20-2004, 09:47 PM
I was planning to bet out on the turn and cross my fingers. I think your right. doing something stupid should come on the turn, but I want to find out if loose-goose lets go while the betting size is cheap. He calls the turn checkraise with a Q, and he could, yes, have a Q.

bad beetz
01-20-2004, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you do if EP folds and the bettor calls? Come out firing again on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Flop check-raise and turn bet win me 3.75 BB 2 BB SOMETIMES. SOMETIMES I improve and win more. It's way closer than you think, but the situation's not perfect for this.

Ulysses
01-20-2004, 09:54 PM
This reminds me of another hand that also, if I recall correctly, involved a 72o. Beetz, you'll have to help me out here.

Beetz open-raised w/ AK, I think. BB asked if he wanted him to call. Beetz had his stoic "I'm giving no tells" WSOP face on. No response.

OK, beetz, continue the story. I don't remember the details, but it was funny as all hell.

bad beetz
01-20-2004, 10:02 PM
F*ck you.

some DO MA mutherf*cker three bet me with 72o and extracted the absolute maximum from me postflop, he couldn't have gotten a penny more and he played it perfectly.

Sometimes, when haakee is there he brings up the hand to mess with haakee, because he thinks haakee is me, we must all look the same.

I'm glad all of you were there to witness this.

bad beetz
01-20-2004, 10:37 PM
by aggressive I mean he'll bet no pair when checked to on the flop against 2 people