PDA

View Full Version : Paying off

Mikey
01-20-2004, 02:38 PM
On the turn you bet, you get raised on a real crappy board and you hold AA.

Then your shoulders hunch down and you say to yourself, "HUH.... I have to call"

Call.

Check.

BET!

Call.

Two Pair.

DAMM IT!!!

Is it correct to make these pay offs all the time. Tell me why from a psychological standpoint we make these pay offs.

Is it because I'm not smart enough to get away from the hand.

Is it because if I fold then my opponnents will start running me over??

What is it?

LetsRock
01-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Depends on where the bet is coming from. It also depends on what you've done to get to this point.

Did you raise pre-flop?
What is your table image?
Is the raise coming from a rock or a maniac?
Is it coming from the blinds, or someone in EP?
Did you try raising back to see if he was testing you?
The board is "real crappy", but is it coordinated?

You need the answers to all of these questions to determine if it is appropriate to keep calling or give up on the golden hand. You need to have some read on the situation to get a feel for where you're at.

Someitmes you're right, sometimes your wrong, but at least have a reason besides "I have AA" to pay them off.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-20-2004, 02:58 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why you didn't 3-bet the turn. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Al Schoonmaker
01-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Mikey,
This thread has barely begun, but LetsRock has made the critical point. Your action should be based on MUCH more information than "I have AA." Poker is so situational that the answer to almost every question is "It depends on the situation."
In addition to not telling us enough to determine whether you should fold, call, or three bet on the turn, you are looking for ONE reason, and you have given us only two alternatives to choose from.
In fact, nearly all complicated human behavior is driven by multiple forces within ourselves and from the situation, and there are nearly always more reasons for our actions than just two.
Some people simply can't fold aces, even if they are both red; there are four spades on the board, and it's a bet and a raise to them by two rocks. "I waited all night for them, and I am not going to fold, so there."
That's a psychological question: Why would someone insist on calling when he is unquestionably beaten?
The situation you described is NOT a purely psychological one. Without more information, I can't tell whether calling is stupid, smart, crazy, or none of the above.
Regards,
Al

Robk
01-20-2004, 07:28 PM
I call on the turn because I have 8 outs against two pair, and some chance of having the best hand. I call on the river if I feel I will have the best hand often enough, given the size of the pot, for it to be profitable.

bernie
01-20-2004, 11:19 PM
you cant go too wrong making a loose call with AA HU.

obviously you call the turn because you have many outs.
you call the river, depending on your opponent, because you think there's a chance you may still be good.

OR you call the river because you've noticed you've been laying down alot of hands. whether your reads were dead on or not, do it once in awhile. actually mason mentions this in HPFAP i believe. when im reading the table well, ill make a call once in awhile so im not folding too much.

you're fine...

b

bernie
01-20-2004, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Without more information, I can't tell whether calling is stupid, smart, crazy, or none of the above

[/ QUOTE ]

which in this case, youd call. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

b

Clarkmeister
01-21-2004, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you cant go too wrong making a loose call with AA HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Mikey
01-21-2004, 09:02 PM
I'm not trying to say that I should have laid down AA, but sometimes, there are hands, "in which I know better" that I should lay down, yet I don't.

I see good players make those plays too.

It's just they can't get away from hands.

Its like this little auto pilot that goes on in your head that says I have to call the next two bets, even though I know I'm ""*****PROBABLY*****"" beat.

Ed Miller
01-21-2004, 09:48 PM
The point is that calling down when you are ****PROBABLY***** beat is often correct.