PDA

View Full Version : 6-12 river play

09-17-2001, 03:40 AM
Run of the mill Mirage 6-12 game. A few loosies, 2 unknowns, the rest are regulars I have a good bead on.

Game has been fairly passive, I limp on the button behind 4 limpers with Q-7 suited in hearts. Blinds call, 7 see the flop of:

Q 7 5 rainbow.

Top two, not bad. All fold to me, I bet. 3 callers including one of the unknowns. Ho hum, here comes the turn of:

10c

Putting a 2 flush in clubs on the board. I still am likely the big boss man. All check to me, I bet, all but the unknown player fold. I am praying for anything but an ace when the river comes:

6h. No flush out there. Final board: Q 7 5 10 6

Unknown player bets.

Now what and why?

I'll post results and thoughts later. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Clark

09-17-2001, 04:25 AM
So what hand has this unknown got?

9,8 is possible. He would have flopped a gut-shot straight and then got an open-ended straight on the turn. Most players will call the single small bet on the flop with a gut-shot and everyone would at least call on the turn with an open-ended straight draw.

6,5 and 7,6 are also possible. Many players will stay with hands like middle and bottom pair too long. When he made two pair, he may have believed his two pair was going to beat a single pair of Queens.

I'd just call the river bet. If he caught a straight on the river, then you're going to be 3-bet.

09-19-2001, 02:36 AM
While I thought of 8-9, I thought it unlikely. I thought the 6 gave him a worse 2 pair, so I raised. He just called, which seemed to confirm my read, but he showed me 4-8c for the straight. The club on the turn presumably kept him in. I was most surprised that he didnt make it 3 bets on the river.

09-19-2001, 03:40 AM
84s. What a hand. Maybe I should start playing hands like that.

09-19-2001, 04:02 AM
He ended up being in almost every pot (didn't know this when this hand took place, he had just sat down).

I simply filed this hand away in my memory banks and ended up isolating him quite a bit the rest of the evening, with good success.