PDA

View Full Version : Calling 4 Bets Cold Before the Flop

09-17-2001, 03:16 AM
With what sorts of hands are people willing to cold call *four* bets?

A fairly normal (at least until this hand) $2/$4 internet game. I'm dealt 10d-10s on the button.

UTG folds, the next player bets, the next player folds.

The next player raises. So does the following player. And the player after her.

I'm faced with calling 4 SB with 10 SB in the pot. Figuring my tens are up against aces and maybe another superior pair, I fold.

Correct play or no? What hands would people call with in this situation?

Here's the bizarre (and painful) finish to the hand:

The first bettor folds, the raisers both call. I curse the skies when the flop comes down 7h-7s-10h.

First bettor bets, second raises, third re-raises, first bettor caps. Everyone calls.

Turn is Qd. Again the first bettor bets, the second raises. Third bettor calls. First bettor re-raises. Everyone calls.

River is a blank: 2c.

Again the first bettor bets. Second bettor raises. Third bettor -- who I am fairly certain had pocket aces or kings -- folds.

When the first bettor calls, the pot is around $100, a ridiculous take for a $2/$4 hand.

The "monster" hands revealed:

First bettor (and the first pre-flop raiser): 7-9 offsuit.

Second bettor (the pre-flop re-raiser): 7s-5s.

They split the pot with trip sevens, and I'm left feeling ridiculous.

Thoughts?

09-17-2001, 04:09 AM
You should only cold-call 4 bets with a hand which you're willing to make it four bets yourself. For me, that's AA, KK, and AKs. I'd be hard-pressed to call with AKo and QQ since I'd be concerned about drawing dead. Anything else is definitely getting mucked.

You made the correct play by folding here since you judged this to be a "normal" table.

09-17-2001, 11:04 AM
Only with an unreal situation would I call 4 cold with TT. Like if 4 or 5 people had already called. Even when playing against the craziest of opponents (and the probability of all 3 of them beeing on crack is slim) you're likely to be up atleast against a pair bigger than yours and/or AK.

Even if would be +EV to call (which I seriously doubt it is) it's very very big on variance.

Good fold.

Sincerly, Andreas

09-17-2001, 12:01 PM
You were correct to fold - you are up against a bigger pair and you don't have the implied odds to flop a set.

Since you were going to fold anyway, you should be ecstatic that the two guys showed down semi-connected trash. Think of all the money these geese are giving to the table!

Seriously, the 4 bettor probably had a bigger pair. You don't have the odds to flop a set. Even when you do get the set, you can't always expect this kind of action. 2 of your other opponents held trips. This will happen so rarely, that to pay 4SB for this hand isn't going to be worth it in the end.

09-17-2001, 07:14 PM
I agree with the other posters...even if the players are raising/reraising with trash like this, you should not jump in with TT and hope to catch a big pot. Sure, you got a great flop for your hand, but what if the flop came down with an overcard and no ten? Sure, you may think that the flop didn't hit anyone if they're willing to cap it with 97 or 75, but what about the guy with Ax or something similar?

Also agree on calling four bets cold only with hands you would be willing to reraise/cap it with (AA, KK, AKs, AK.)

Even if you do tighten up like a clam, this sort of game will put your variance through the roof. You'll be paying quite a bit to see every card...and you may not win even if you get a flop you like. Of course, one win in this situation should make your night.

Last time I was playing $4-$8, the table got more and more aggressive through the night. One woman was on a big rush, and she would raise/reraise her half-kill blind EVERY time. More and more preflops were getting capped. And I wasn't getting any decent hands to get mixed up in it all. Even though I was the favorite or second favorite at the table, I got up and left with my modest win (it was also 3am and I couldn't see straight.) I'd rather wait for a game with less variance.

09-21-2001, 08:52 PM
Suppose you flop top set. In that case, as in the flop you describe (T77), will you not be worried when any scare cards come on the turn and river? Anyone with an overpair is probably going to stick around, which tells me that any card J-A falling is likely to beat you or prevent you from extracting the maximum from your hand.

Similarly, top set is also going to be a calling hand if the board becomes too coordinated and your raises won't force others to fold.