PDA

View Full Version : Online etiquette

Martin Aigner
01-20-2004, 01:29 PM
I just played a 100 SnG at Party. We are heads up and I´m slightly ahead. Ohter player raises me, I move in with AJ, he calls and, Board J9865, he shows 77 for the straight. So I´m down to 1210, blinds 300/600. I´m in the SB and call with T2, and suddenly the other player loses his connection. He´s considerd all in with his 82 in the BB, I win the hand turning a T and am up to 1810.

Next hand I get QQ, but he still isn´t online. His status doesn´t change until I´m up to 6310 to his 3690. I realise that he´s online again since it took quite a while for him to react in the last hand and fold his SB.

So I´m up to 7210 to his 2790. I´m in the SB and get KK. Feeling bad about my opponent I decided before that I will transfer 100$ to his account if he gets blinded off until the end. But since he´s back online now I asked him if he was back and whether he wanted to spit the money. I did this after I recieved my KK in the SB and before making any action in this hand. After being counted down to 5 without getting any response I decided that I´ll just play my hand.

I finally won the SnG. Should I fell obliged to transfer him any money? Should I just ignore it and go on? What would you do?

I sure know that I would be happy if I would recieve money from my opponent under this circumstances, on the other side: I proposed a deal and furhtermore, I had QQ just 2 hands after this incident happenend, so I had a good chance to be back in the game anyway. Still, should this have anything to do with my decission?

Best regards

Martin Aigner

ZeeJustin
01-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Don't give him a dime. Would you expect him to give you money if you had connection problems? Aren't you playing poker against him to take his money in the first place? Is there any reason that you need to compensate for his connection problems? Haven't you had connection problems in the past that didn't get compensated for? Does he have a choice of risking his money on his bad connection? Isn't there a reasonable chance that you would have won the whole thing straight up?

I could go on, but there's absolutely no reason to feel obliged to give him anything.

ScottTheFish
01-20-2004, 01:37 PM
You're under no obligation to share your prize with him. He is playing for real money on the Internet, and knows the inherent risks.

Like they say in 1L, Caveat Emptor, pal. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

morgant
01-20-2004, 01:37 PM
despite the fact that most people would never offer you the same courtesy, i believe in do onto others what you would want done to yourself

ZeeJustin
01-20-2004, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do onto others what you would want done to yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

Any proverb that encourages rape can't be a good one.

morgant
01-20-2004, 01:42 PM

La Brujita
01-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Poker is a business and I think you should keep the money. If you feel bad, I would donate a bit extra to charity. Anyway, with the hands you were dealt it looks like you would have probably won.

prosh
01-20-2004, 01:48 PM
so whats the translation on Caveat Emptor

SamJack
01-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Should one give the disconnected play courtesy of giving him maximum time? i.e. Using all the time allowed.

Should one give the disconnected player courtesty of checking only (no raise)?

Sam

SamJack
01-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Buyers beware.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Well, you could e-mail support and ask them to stop the clock until he reconnects.

Oh, wait. This was on Party.

Never mind.

Martin Aigner
01-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Sam,

checking doesn´t work. If you call the BB you will in any way, since the other player doesn´t check and therefor gives no action at all.

On the other side: I admit that I didn´t use all the time available to me.

Best regards

Martin Aigner

dogsballs
01-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Well, I've been in exactly the same situation. Down to HU from full table SNG, close chips, opp loses connection (well, times out and is then sitting out).

I hit the call button immediately it appeared, to fold him and progress the hands asap before he reconnected. Won easy. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you feel bad, remember we all accept resposnibility for our own connection status and take that risk when we log in.
Give something to a charity if you feel you don't deserve the loot, but you shouldn't have any qualms about pocketing it.

Lori
01-20-2004, 02:17 PM
I do refund money from time to time, but usually only if I'm about to fold, then get cut off and then win the pot.

In your situation there I'd keep the money, especially having given him a chance to split and him not replying.

DougBrennan
01-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Without being quite as vehement as others, I believe that offering to chop relieves you of any further responsibility.

My guess is that you opponent plays with chat silent (I usually do), but that is truly his choice, and he made no move to communicate with you about the situation, either.

Enjoy the win with clear conscience.

crockpot
01-20-2004, 02:31 PM
i just got victimized by a power/cable outage, forcing me out of two $30 SNGs where i had about 4000 total chips. as no one talked to me about refunding my would-be money, it will be a cold day in hell before i do something like this, not that i don't admire you for trying.

LetsRock
01-20-2004, 03:11 PM
First of all it's heads up, so the guy is getting second place money.

Second, disconnect is just one of the hazards of on-line play. You did nothing wrong. I can't even count the number of times I've been disconnected in a tourney and got nothing to show for it. It's frustrating, but I don't blame the players for sucking me dry.

The most you could do if you're really that concerned about good consience is to wait the max time between actions, but are you really going to sit there all night waiting for him to come back? Not me. What happens if you get disconnected while you're messing around waiting for him? You won't like the results of that.

Take the win and keep your money.

MS Sunshine
01-20-2004, 04:48 PM
"Feeling bad about my opponent I decided before that I will transfer 100$ to his account if he gets blinded off until the end."

I've never had this feeling, but then I'm usually jumping up and down yelling "BINGO" when this fortuitous situation arises.

MS Sunshine

Phishy McFish
01-20-2004, 05:13 PM
This is silly.....you know you don't want to give that money to anyone....until they take it away from you with a better hand. But we'll all play along and tell you what you want to hear......"keep it, it's part of the game."

I once almost drove to my folks house to get online because my cable provider had an outage and we were down to 6 people in a $50 SNG on Paradise....of the original T10,000 I had T5,600. I ended up taking 4th (just out of the money) simply by posting and folding because I couldn't get back online.

Yet in a $200 multi it worked to my advantage with only 2 tables left.....as I would have folded against a player who was doing an all-in blitz strategy with a low stack(something like 4 out of 6 hands). I got frozen while on the BB and (treated as all-in) won the hand. It cost me my SB and my button hands....but I thought it a net positive occurence. Aside from the fact that I was accused of cheating, which is a joke....if for nothing else than there would be plenty of better opportunities to utilize such a dirty tactic. I simply told the accuser to contact support and they would do hand histories and see that this was the only time I had benefited (against multiple times of being punished by the unfortunate circumstance of getting kicked out)

Point being....it should either even out in the wash.....or punish those with crappy connections (which is no one's fault but their own).