PDA

View Full Version : AK 3/6 online

09-17-2001, 03:11 AM
Average 3/6 online get dealt AKo in mid position. UTG calls, fold to me, I raise, one cold caller (CC), BB and UTG call.

Flop is K 9 4 rainbow.

Checked to me, I bet CC calls BB raise (one of looser players at table) UTG calls 2. UTG has me worried so I call so does CC.

Turn is J making two clubs.

BB bet we all call (mistake?).

River is 10 completing club flush.

BB checks, so does UTG and so do I. CC bets other 2 fold I call knowing Im beat but not willing to let go. CC shows Ac3c for nuts. My main question is the flop, Ive seen the BB check-raise with top pair mediocre kicker before against a preflop raiser, so I considered making it three to get it heads up but when UTG called the two, and given there were virtually no draws I was unsure if I was even ahead at the moment. So my question is did I play a good hand too weakly and invited a suckout; or more or less appropriately and just got sucked out. Comments appreciated.

09-17-2001, 04:01 AM
Making it 3-bets on the flop should be the best play to charge the backdoor flush draws and gut-shot straight draws as much as possible. I don't think you should worry about UTG. He either has a bad draw or is calling with something like middle pair.

I called two hands today while playing stud even though I was sure I was beat. Seems we both need to improve our play in this area.

09-17-2001, 10:01 AM
You should 3 bet on the flop.

It's a value bet. Against poor opponents, you should not be scared of the cold callers. They will draw to gutshots and underpairs.

You gain control of the hand. The turn betting will be a lot easier. If you end up facing a double bet on the turn, you will have more confidence in where you stand if you had 3 bet the flop. This probably means being able to fold against most players.

Once you call on the flop, I think you have to raise the turn because of the striaght and flush draws. You probably won't get them to fold, but you can reduce their odds.