PDA

View Full Version : playing a flush with king high with four suited on river

sweeneyagonistes
01-20-2004, 12:27 PM
this recently happened to me where I had Ac Kh in a game i would call loose/passive. Pre flop I raise from late position and scare out all but two players, one of whom is loose aggressive and the other a calling station. Flop comes with three low hearts without straight possibilty. I put the aggressive player on either two pair or a set. Calling station uncharacteristically folds here. Turn comes blank. He checks, I bet, he calls. River comes Jh, he checks I bet, he raises, I raise, he calls. He, unfortunately, had the ace and took the pot.

What do you think? I can't help believe that I misplayed the hand, but I felt like the aggressive player was bluffing or playing a second or third best hand at least 60% of the time. Was my play justified? NB, he check raises very frequently on the river.

J.R.
01-20-2004, 02:28 PM
If you can 3-bet with impunity against the nut flush who won't 4-bet than you have found a nice opponent. I would 3-bet with your K high flush most of the time here, and every time if I knew the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif would only call.

MRBAA
01-20-2004, 02:28 PM
I like your play fine. Interesting that he didn't raise you on the turn, as many LAGs will do that in this situation. I think your hand is definitely good enough to bet the river. Once he checkraises, though, I'm just calling. I'm assuming there must have been a pair on board and that's why he didn't four bet (from your post, it appears he had the nuts). I think his c/r on the river is unlikely to be a bluff unless he's a total maniac. What's more, when it is your three bet probably won't get paid off anyway.