PDA

View Full Version : Can this be fair?

Vee Quiva
01-20-2004, 12:12 PM
I played in my first B&M no limit hold'em tournament on Monday. $25 buy in for $300 in tournament chips. Unlimited rebuys for the first hour for $20. There is a rule that if you go all in, then whip out your $20 before the hand is over, you will be granted your rebuy, even if you win the pot and your original stack grows above the initial $300. Does this seem fair to everyone?

I was surprised by the amount of rebuys that everyone used. What is the best strategy for utilizing your rebuys? Since it was my first tournament I felt I would be throwing my money away on the rebuys, so I only bought one. Had lousy starting cards the whole time and only lasted about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

McMelchior
01-20-2004, 12:38 PM
It is not clear from you post whether you ONLY can re-buy during an all-in hand, or if you can wait until the showdown and then decide to rebuy should you go broke?

If the latter is the case, I don't see any "unfairness" in the rule ... it doesn't favorize anybody in particular, but it probably provides for a lot of action. I wonder why you think it's not fair?

My strategy for re-buy tournaments is to take an initial rebuy if that's possible, or to rebuy immediately after losing the first few chips. I know I play much better when I have more chips than most of the players at my table - partly for psychological reasons, partly because I have the option of being an all-in threat to more players, and partly because I can gain the max from 'double-up' hands.

If there is an ad-on at the end of the rebuy period I usually take it for the same reasons, save situations where I either am extremely low on chips and the ad-on will not bring me anywhere near a competetive amount, or I have a huge chip lead and the cost per chip for the ad-on is substantially higher than the expected improvement in my chances of a money finish warrants.

Whether to rebuy if I go broke during the rebuy period depends completely of my perception of the quality of the other players ... the worse players, the more likely I'll rebuy.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

Greg (FossilMan)
01-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Fair? Sure. Everybody is playing under the same rules, and the rules weren't written in a manner that intentionally favors any person or group in particular. So, it must be fair.

Reasonable? Maybe not. It is a huge incentive to get it all-in on occasions where you might not otherwise do so. For example, if I had T500 in my stack, and you have T200, I don't want to bet T200, but instead T500 all-in, because then I can rebuy while you're thinking. Or, if that's not allowed, imagine a T500 pot, T500 in my stack, more than T500 in yours. Maybe I would preferably bet T250, because I have the nuts and I think you'll call that amount every time, but if I bet all-in, I expect you to call only about 45% of the time. Now, by going all-in, I lose a little EV from your calls, but gain the right to rebuy, whether you call or not.

I don't think it's the best rule, but it's not terrible. Just a small mistake by the rule-maker.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)