PDA

View Full Version : Good spot to play sheriff?

CMP
01-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Party $2-4 - tighter than I expected when I sat down.

MP is new to the table, and has taken advantage of table tightness by betting a lot and not getting called -- my LAG sense is tingling.

Maybe that's why I raise A10 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the CO. BB and MP limper both call. Flop comes 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Both check to me, I bet, both call.

Turn is the 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif [5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif].

BB checks, MP now bets into me.

I.....

Fold
Call down
Raise

CMP

daveymck
01-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Personally I call it down dependant on the last card. Only logical hands he could have limped with that are well ahead of you are A2s, A5s, 55, 22 and maybe 56s or a K5s.

He may have a higher PP he never raised on the flop so there is a chance that your A will be enough to split the pot and even win it.

It may be worth the couple of BB's to see how much of a bluffer he is for info later in the session especially on a tight table where you can maybe get heads up with him.

Thats my logic see how that fits in with the experienced players views.

scotnt73
01-20-2004, 12:40 PM
fold. i would have checked the flop then folded. even if an A or 10 comes on the river are you gonna feel very good about it?

Nate tha' Great
01-20-2004, 12:41 PM
A typical Party opponent would attempt to check-raise with a made boat. I think he more likely picked up a spade draw, or perhaps has Ax. Either way, I'd like to raise here and probably fold to a 3-bet.

ScottTheFish
01-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Betting into you when the turn pairs sounds like exactly what a LAG trying to take advantage of a tight table would do. If I wanted to test my tingling LAG sense, i would raise and see how he reacts.

Calling down might be ok too, just to see if he's bluffing for future information, but I like raising better.

If he really has it, so be it. But if you suspect the guy is trying to blully the table, you have to look him up sooner or later.

AliasMrJones
01-20-2004, 01:49 PM
The BB is still live. Even if MP is just being LAGgy, BB may have scored the boat and is check-raising. I'd fold, but I'm weak-tight.

el_grande
01-20-2004, 02:01 PM
I'd fold. I might raise in a real tough game. You know your ATs are probably worthless, and I don't see enough Party players making the "bet and fold to a raise" play to make raising worthwhile.

I hate double-paired boards. I get out of there when the board double pairs and I have nothing. Live to fight another day. Even a flush needs to run for cover if there are raises.

Edit: Sorry Daveymck, I meant to reply to the main post. .

ScottTheFish
01-20-2004, 03:40 PM
DOH! I didn't even notice the board was double paired...I was just looking at the 5 pairing the board. I change my answer. I fold. This is the wrong hand to test if my LAG sense is correct.

GuyOnTilt
01-20-2004, 03:44 PM
i would have checked the flop then folded. even if an A or 10 comes on the river are you gonna feel very good about it?

This is HORRIBLE advice.

GoT

Nate tha' Great
01-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Looks like I'm the only remaining advocate for raising.

LAG knows that *you* aren't likely to have a piece of the board.

LAG doesn't have a piece of the board now if he didn't on the flop, and he didn't bet the flop.

LAG would be somewhat more inclined to check-raise if he had a boat, although there are reasons why he might not.

The board has become more attractive to LAG if he is holding an A and was worried about kicker problems.

The board has become more attractive to LAG if he had a spade draw.

LAG is LAG. You don't want to let him get away with taking stabs at scary boards like this when he's going to be playing immediately before you all night. Show him whose boss and raise.

CMP
01-20-2004, 05:36 PM
I wanted to raise. I really did. LAG sense was going crazy.

Instead, I folded, BB folded, and MP took it down.

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

CMP