PDA

View Full Version : Did I lose my nerve? What to do?

09-15-2001, 12:44 PM
Took a flier on a "trouble hand" and got into trouble. I welcome all criticisms of the way this hand was played.

$1/$2 Holdem

As 9h on the button. There were 4 callers, I called, and the blinds checked. 7 players.

- In the hand were (1) Loose-Aggressive "LA" player who for some reason limped (he's a borderline maniac), and (4) Calling Stations "CS", and SB. LA player was two seats to my right. Small Blind was also fairly passive.

FLOP: 9c 4h 2s

Wow. Pretty good flop, right?

Small blind leads

BB folds

2 CS call

LA raises, was called by a third

To isolate the LA player, I 3-bet the pot.

Small blind and one other fold

One CS cold-calls 2, LA calls 1, as does CS between me and LA

Rats. Failed to isolate LA. 4 players.

TURN: Qc

Hand is checked around

RIVER: 7s

Hand is checked around

CS 1 shows Th 7h

CS 2 shows 3c 2c

LA mucks, and I win.

My thoughts are that I was probably giving a free card to LA on the turn, and couldn't be sure if the Q had hit one of the CS. At any rate, with 3 hands out against me, I did not like my chances betting or checking. Should I have bet the Turn? The River for value after the Turn was checked around? Should I have even been playing A9 multi-way for even one bet? Usually I am able to analyze my hands and figure out where I went wrong but I am having a hard time with this one.

09-15-2001, 02:37 PM
I'd say that preflop folding A9o in that spot is a good move.

Flop play is good.

Bet the turn! You have a weak hand and need to protect it. If you get checkraised you can fold fairly safely. This way you'll probably be able to check behind the field on the river.

Given that the turn got checked through you might have a slim value bet on the river. Especially given the CS-type players you were up against. If any of the players were able to pull of a raise-bluff against you I'd say a check is in order.

Sincerly, Andreas

09-16-2001, 04:55 PM
Against this many calling stations I'd say A9 is a pretty "strong" hand, sort of. Things would be different had a really tight player called UTG. You've got the button, give it a call.

Sure, raise the flop. Sure, get nervous when rocky calls the double bet cold, but don't worry when calling stations call since HEY!, that's what they do.

Sure, bet the turn. You don't have to "know" that this over-card didn't hit anybody. Any card could hit any of these players, but none are likely to do so.

Sure, bet the river even if you bet and got called on the turn. Definately bet if it was checked around on the turn.

If you don't like the way this hand went down then, no, don't play A9.

Perhaps your mistake is presuming that just because if YOU were the callers then somebody can surely beat a pair of 9s, that therefore some of THESE players can beat it. I don't think I said that well, how about: calling stations call far more often than they should and therefore their average hand when they call is very weak. How about: Don't assume other players play like you nor how they "should". Or: Bad players don't play very well; so don't assume they do. One more: you may need top pair good kicker to lead into a field of tight players, but your standards drop way down behind a field of loose callers who check.

- Louie

09-19-2001, 02:10 PM
ITS 1-2. YOUR A9 IS GOOD.

09-22-2001, 05:54 PM
Thanks to all for taking the time to help me out.

By your post, I see that you don't feel A9 likes company.

Given that HPFAP-21 hands in Groups 1-8 are "playable", some under very restricted conditions, when do YOU you play A9, Andreas? I figure if A9 was unplayable always, it wouldn't be listed in Group 8 with the rest of the "monsters".

Based on the trouble I got in with this "trouble" hand, and the fact that the table wouldn't let me take control with it (even though the flop didn't hit them), I think from now on A9 would be best played as a blind-stealing hand, from the button or cutoff, when no one has called the (perceived timid) blinds. Does this sound more like it?