PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

01-20-2004, 10:16 AM

t_perkin
01-20-2004, 10:39 AM
In terms of the packets recieved by the poker room there is no difference between dialup and DSL

There is no way that a poker site can know whether you are using DSL or Dialup, except by making educated guesses. i.e. your bandwidth, the IP route that your packets take etc.

I donīt see why a poker site should discriminate against DSL, in fact quite the opposite (slow connections slow down the games = lower rake/hr).

Just bad luck for you I think...

Tim

David
01-20-2004, 11:11 AM
DSL has been the nuts for me since I got it a month ago!

t_perkin
01-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I use DSL in Iceland, but they have a crazy system here: you have to pay PER BYTE!

So they are more than happy to give you a 2Mbps connection, cos it just means ur gonna download more stuff!

tim

CountDuckula
01-20-2004, 12:02 PM
I use DSL, and I can only recall one occasion on which I suffered a disconnect from a poker site. I don't know why it happened, but it seems to be extremely rare for me, at least. I would think that dial-up is more vulnerable to things like line noise, someone on your end picking up an extension, etc. But I don't have any hard data to prove it.

-Mike

pretender2k
01-20-2004, 12:38 PM
I have had DSL since before I started playing poker so I can't compare them. I personally can only remember 1 or 2 disconnects that weren't a problem on my side. I have even been playing two games while downloading a lot of data without a problem.

DrSavage
01-20-2004, 01:26 PM
I've had a lot of disconnect promlems while I had DSL, so I had to switch to cable modem.

ZeeJustin
01-20-2004, 02:04 PM
I think it really depends on the company / service in your area. I've had very bad experiences with high speed connections that people in other states claimed they never had a single problem with. Try asking the people in your area, because there are certainly "near-flawless" DSL connections out there that are perfect for poker. Make sure you ask about ping times and connectivity, because the high download speed is rarely a problem. Ping times and connectivity are more important, especially for a poker player.