PDA

View Full Version : Going Broke

Maverick_00
01-20-2004, 09:26 AM
I seem to have a recurring pattern in my building up of and losing of my bankroll on UB. I will deposit money and play at small SnGs and play tournaments as well and build my bankroll up to about $200-$300 and play well at $2-$4 and $3-$6. Then I'll decide to play heads up at this limit a few days later and proceed to throw away my profits in about 30 mins through a mixtire of being outplayed and bad luck. If I stick to $2-$4 ten handed i win consistently but i get greedy and impatient. I am young and have only been playing a little while but I have won $4000 overall but these leaks can't be good and i need to fix them now so i can keep making money consistently.
Any views on how i should manage my bankroll? Criticism accepted and in fact is welcomed /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daveymck
01-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Well the major leak is playing heads up so that is easily plugged, do not play heads up or goto a site that offers head up at penny limits and learn to play.

Poker is all about patience whether its at the table when the cards are not coming or bulding up and playing at the levels you should be, there is no quick rich way to win big money at this game.

Your bankroll is not at the right level for the games you are playing ideaaly you want $600 to play at 1/2, I think that if you do keep busting out you need to start at the bottom take you bankroll to .5/1 build it up to $600 then up to $1200 at 1/2 then up you go, doing it this way means your bankroll does not have to be regulary topped up from other sources.

You say you have won $4000 does that figure mean you have won that or are the losses built into it as well?

I have played around a year now before finding this site I was a bit like you was doing ok was playing 1/2 taking a few hundred dollars out every now and then. But was impatient went up to 3/6 won big money in a few sessions then busted out when my poor play caught up with me. Ended up putting more money in.

Read this site and follow the advice from the experienced guys they have been there and done it, I have been here a few months and I know now I am still a beginner and have loads to learn but I have improved my play in the last two months much more than in the nine months before finding this site.

scotnt73
01-20-2004, 10:04 AM
most gamblers are greedy and impatient. that is why we make money off of them. if you cant be patient then you will never make it at holdem. in fact id put my money on the stupid patient guy over the genius with no patience any day of the week.

RustedCorpse
01-20-2004, 10:14 AM
I've ran into the exact same situation. (search for a "giving up the ghost" post)

Seriously listen to the site, browse around (this site and that 1800 number on the back of your taj card are your choices)
in particular read the posts of Davidcross and them so you understand the ups and downs.
But I know how you feel, was doing great and like you just want to keep moving up in limits so you go and go till you're broke. Download poker tracker pay for it and use it then review this site daily. I'm finally winning, maybe not as much as before but it's steady and more importantly I know it's going to be a decathalon not a sprint.

Rusted

Maverick_00
01-20-2004, 10:16 AM
I have net winnings of $4000, most of this is from big tournament wins but i want to improve my limit game and be a consistent winner. I will take on board your comments and try to build my bankroll sufficiently and have the patience to play proper poker.

Maverick_00
01-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Thank You I appreciate all your comments and your help!

bernie
01-20-2004, 11:30 AM
your roll isnt big enough to sustain in a 2-4 or a 3-6 game. the odds are, no matter how well you play, you will bust out. no matter how well you play.

move down in limits or buy in for more.

greed and impatience will help kill a sustainable roll also. learn to control yourself.

b