PDA

View Full Version : Those mid-pairs can be trouble sometimes

jasonHoldEm
01-20-2004, 03:39 AM
Hi guys,

Party 2/4 table is typical and we're 8 handed at the moment.

I have red 8's UTG+1.

UTG limps, I limp, LMP limps, SB completes, BB checks.

FLOP: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif, K /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, I raise, LMP calls two, SB calls two, BB folds, UTG calls.

TURN: K /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, UTG checks, I check (?), LMP bets, SB calls, UTG raises, I three-bet, LMP calls, SB calls, UTG caps it and everyone calls

RIVER: J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, UTG bets, I raise, LMP calls two, SB now three-bets, UTG calls, I cap it and everyone calls.

Looking back, I think capping the river was a mistake. UTG's action on the flop doesn't give his hand away and although he had capped the turn he could have a wide variety of hands I beat, but the SB check/three-beting the river seems to say KX and hit his kicker. My thinking was I'm getting 3:1 for capping it and I'm probably going to win more than once in four tries so I'm money ahead...now I'm not so sure.

Anyways, SB had A5s for nut flush, UTG had 99 for a better full house, and LMP had a K7 for trip kings.

Comments?

Jason

crockpot
01-20-2004, 07:02 AM
capping the river is a judgment call. you were there and i wasn't, so i'll leave it to you. it all depends on how aggressive the opponents are.

i don't understand the turn check, though. only one player is behind you. if you check here and he checks, you're missing out on at least two or three bets, and probably more. if LMP was going to bet, he may raise you anyway, and the chances that a check-raise is coming from one of the other two are pretty good on this board. the only reason i can see for checking is that you don't think you have the best hand, which obviously isn't consistent with how you bet it.

Joe Tall
01-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Checking the turn is horrible. You only have 1 player to act behind you and surely will miss bets if you do.

This river is opponent dependant. If you fear KJ, then call.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Homer
01-21-2004, 12:28 PM
With only one player behind you, attempting a turn check-raise is far too risky. You should bet out, expecting to be raised or check-raised a good percentage of the time. This way you can get in three bets.

On the river, I'm leaning towards not capping. When SB just calls along and the suddenly comes alive when a seemingly unimportant card hits on the river, it smells like a slowplayed monster (though it could be KJ as well).

-- Homer