PDA

View Full Version : Situational QUIZ

ProfLupin
01-20-2004, 03:29 AM
I ran into a lot of common tricky decisions today. Some of them basic (preflop play) others a little more complex. I won't claim to have all the right answers to these, and in fact there might not be "right" answers to some. Feel free to disagree w/ my prior actions on some of them, but for your final answers just consider your immeadiate action given the prior play shown...

Hand 1:
Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
ProfLupin has J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB
UTG limps, EP2 limps, MP1(poster) checks, MP3 limps, Button folds, ProfLupin limps, BB raises, UTG calls, EP2 calls, MP1(poster) calls, MP3 calls, ProfLupin calls
Flop(12 SB): 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif
ProfLupin checks ( I've been check/raising top pair good kicker from the blinds - same situation in hand 3 ), BB could(all-in), UTG checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks
Turn(12 BB): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hand 2:
ProfLupin has J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is MP2
UTG limps, EP2 limps, MP1 limps, ProfLupin raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls
Flop(12 SB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, EP2 checks, MP1 bets

Hand 3:
Party Poker 0.50/1 (9 handed)
ProfLupin has Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB
MP2 limps, MP3 limps, Button limps, ProfLupin limps, BB checks
Flop(5 SB): 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
ProfLupin checks( see note from hand 1 ) , BB bets, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Button folds, ProfLupin raises, BB calls, MP3 calls
Turn(8 BB): A/images/graemlins/heart.gif
ProfLupin bets, BB raises, MP3 folds

Hand 4:
ProfLupin has 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is CO
MP2 limps, MP3 raises

Hand 5:
ProfLupin has 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is EP3
UTG and EP2 fold.

Hand 6:
ProfLupin has 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and is MP3
EP2 limps, MP1 limps, ProfLupin limps, Button folds, SB limps, BB checks
Flop(5 SB): 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB checks, BB checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, ProfLupin checks
Turn(5 BB): 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks, BB checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, ProfLupin bets, SB calls, BB folds, EP2 calls, MP1 calls
River(9 BB): 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks, EP2 bets, MP1 raises

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-20-2004, 04:21 AM
Hand 1: bet and fold to a raise. Otherwise, bet and check/call the river unless you improve.

Hand 2: Fold.

Hand 3: Fold.

Hand 4: Coldcall or fold. I don't like reraise here.

Hand 5: Open-limp.

Hand 6: I think you have to make the crying call here.

MrBlini
01-20-2004, 04:56 AM
Hand 1, Flop: This seems like a good time to check-raise. Oops, not much you can do here.

Hand 1, Turn: The J doesn't look so hot now, and there are only 6 BBs in the pot. I think I check-fold here. There are four clean outs, and a fifth probable out, so you'd need 8.4:1 at best and 11:1 at worst. I don't think the second pair will win here unimproved enough to make this a bet or call.

Hand 2: Raise. You can't possibly fold here. You have the best position. Thin the field and try for a free (actually half-price) card. If your raise gets top pair to check to you on the turn, it's a very good deal, because getting 8:1, you're likely going to have to call the turn as well.

Hand 3: Eww. This is bringing back bad memories. I think the correct answer is to fold unless you know BB to be capable of very big bluffs. Others, feel free to correct/lambaste me.

Hand 4: Unless MP3 only raises with monsters, reraise and get this puppy heads-up with position. I'm very aggressive in these situations, yeah? A fold is definitely better than a call, and possibly better than a raise. But I like that the blinds will be contributing 1 1/2 SB most of the time, and MP2 will be contributing about 1 SB whether he calls or folds. If I recall correctly, you play well shorthanded and heads-up, so I'm leaning toward "raise" for you.

Hand 5: I don't think you're getting enough limpers. I hate to be first in the pot with a limping hand unless the table is loose and super-passive. Fold.

Hand 6: 12 BB in the pot, but it's 2 to call. Yecch. I'd like to call a friend. This is where experience plays a big role, and I don't have the experience. I think the correct answer is to fold. Someone has jacks beat, and if they have jacks beat, they probably have 333 beat, too. I don't think the winner is showing down 75. Calling could get very expensive if EP2 reraises.

MrBlini
01-20-2004, 05:00 AM
Gravy, you may be right about #6, but how can you fold #2?

Festus22
01-20-2004, 08:28 AM
I see you borrowed my quiz theme. Good way to get multiple hands reviewed.

1. Bet and fold to a raise.

2. Raise

3. Fold

4. Reraise - You're even money against overcards and you have position.

5. Limp

6. Fold - one of these knuckleheads has a 6.

josie_wales
01-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Hand 1 - Check/ Fold

Hand 2 - Raise - drive the others out, get it heads up and for information.

Hand 3 - I dont know about the check raise with a very succeptable hand. Ties players to the pot and wont drive em out.
On the raise you are getting @ 9-1 to hit two pair, but even then your hand may
not be good. Fold.

Hand 4 - Fold. With only 2 players in and against a 3-bet (maybe a cap)
you are not getting good enough odds to hit a sert (which is what you may well need here.)

Hand 5 - Fold - See above - If weak competition perhaps raise

Hand 6 - Dont play in the first plae with 2 limpers only in front of you. But in the spot you are in on the river only a 6 beats you or a river set of 5's. Given that the SB and BB are still in
there is a better chance that they saw the flop for free
witha 6 and hit the straight. You are however getting almost 12-1 on the call (assuming no reraise), so a crying call is what
I would do

josie_wales
01-20-2004, 09:38 AM
It seems that I am in the minority with my ideas for the 9-9 hand facing a raise then a reraise. Unless you know the players real well, I got to fold here (weak?) I know that my 2nd choice would certainly be a raise -- never a call -- but fold seems best to me.

I figure that the most common hands to be 3-bet here are AK/AKs/AA/KK/QQ/JJ and you are behind 4 of these and a coin flip with the other 2. AND you may be against TWO of these hands thus putting you even further behind. If there were more in the pot perhaps I stick around and rasie it up, but in this case I wait to fight another day.

Someone(s) please tear apart my reasoning here.

Thanks!

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Hm. That's what I get for not considering the pot odds and the fact that he's closing the action in #2.

I agree with you, Blini.

Rico Suave
01-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Hey Proflupin:

Hand 1: Because of your position relative to the pf raiser, I think that your best play here is to bet out (especially if BB is aggressive) and hope the BB raises to face the field with 2 bets. Also, if the BB smooth calls, it is likely that you are ahead.

Hand 2: With no reads, I would probably raise the flop here and take a free card on the turn.

Hand 3: Fold. You c/r the flop and then the bb raises your turn bet. I think you are behind, and probably by a lot.

Hand 4: With no reads on the 2 MP players I would most likely fold. But if the 2 MP players are weak and capable of folding, and you are certain that you will fold the rest of the field with a 3-bet, you could go ahead and three bet. Without the MP limper, I think it is a definite 3 bet.

Hand 5: Call on a loose table, raise on a tight table

Hand 6: I would definitely call if you were closing the action, but I would be afraid of ep1 reraising. With no reads, I will vote call (6:1 odds) but I am not happy at all.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been check/raising top pair good kicker from the blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is fine to have a general default play, but be sure to adapt your strategy to fit your particular situation and table conditions. Do you c/r top pair good kicker in both raised and unraised pots? Does it matter how high your top pair is (holding A6s? with a 6 high flop)? I am not saying your strategy is wrong, but doing the same thing every time is rarely correct.

--Rico

HajiShirazu
01-20-2004, 10:14 AM
1: Check-fold, hate when that happens.
2: Raise. Dunno if I would have raised this preflop. It seems like every time I raise with AJo I get into trouble.
3: Hmm...I'd fold here unless I knew BB liked to bluff big.
4: Raise or fold depending on what kind of player MP3 is. I would probably fold against a random player and not like it. If he's one of those tight-aggressive types that raises a lot preflop I would always raise here. But if you play you have to raise, raising improves your chances of winning greatly with a hand like 99.
5: Hmm...I would probably just limp in here. If you raise, at the average .5/1 table you're just going to get 3 cold-calls and have no idea where you stand. Plus even if you hit a miracle overpair flop for your eights, good luck trying to get people to fold in a big pot. Still I think 88 is too good to fold here at a loose-passive table.
6: There's no way your hand is good often enough here. I think it's likely they both have sixes and you'll end up being faced with the same situation again when it's two more back to you. I would probably have bet the flop, but I like wasting money in these situations sometimes.

Lost Wages
01-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Hand 1)
Bet

Hand 2)
I don't like raising early limpers with AJo. On the flop I would just call. You need and ace or jack on the turn or you're done.

Hand 3)
Fold even though you are getting 11:1. There is too great a chance that a queen will just make you a second best 2 pair. It could also complete a straight and Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif makes a flush.

Hand 4)
Fold, why get involved? You are either a coin flip to overcards or drawing to 2 outs against an overpair. It's going to be a tough hand to play when the flop has overcards.

Hand 5)
Limp if the game is loose.

Hand 6)
You are getting 6:1 if it's not reraised. Looks borderline, so calling or folding are reasonable.

Lost Wages

ProfLupin
01-20-2004, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I see you borrowed my quiz theme. Good way to get multiple hands reviewed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borrowed? More like blatently stole! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
It seemed to be the right kind of format for these close call decision type hands where we'll get mixed responses.

We have a few disagreements here already /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ProfLupin
01-20-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 4: Coldcall or fold. I don't like reraise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain why you might coldcall here? If you get only one or two other callers behind you (including the other limper) you are in a bad situation seeing the flop for two bets with 3 or 4 players...not good enough odds to spike your set, and potentially tons of overcards to worry about.

ProfLupin
01-20-2004, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've been check/raising top pair good kicker from the blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is fine to have a general default play, but be sure to adapt your strategy to fit your particular situation and table conditions. Do you c/r top pair good kicker in both raised and unraised pots? Does it matter how high your top pair is (holding A6s? with a 6 high flop)? I am not saying your strategy is wrong, but doing the same thing every time is rarely correct.

--Rico

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point and thankyou for asking about it. I would never try this in a raised pot unless it was TPTK and then that's only a maybe. The situation I check/raise here is when I have a very good hand that I decide not to raise from the blinds. I've been doing this most often with AQo from the blinds when either an A or Q hits on the flop. The two examples in these hands are probably the worst hands I'd try this with. I hope this was clear.

jacki
01-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Quizzes (sp?) are fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 1: Bet, fold to a raise.

Hand 2: Fold

Hand 3: Fold

Hand 4: Call

Hand 5: Limp

Hand 6: Crying call, but what to do with a reraise...?

Victor
01-20-2004, 01:56 PM
hand 1: BET THE FLOP

hand 2: raise or fold

hand 3: I dont like this checkraise. The point of checkraising the flop with top pair is to knock ppl outif the field is big. So you need a bet from a late position player. Since the BB to your direct left bet, you wont be knocking anyone out. You are building a big pot tho, for your 2 backdoor draws so this is not too bad. Calling the BB turn raise is totally player dependent, you need a read on this guy. I would fold here most of the time.

hand 4: Reraise this hand. 99 plays well against either a lot of ppl or 2-3 ppl. Try to create this situation with a raise.

hand 5: this is dependent on the table. if it is a tight table raise 100%. if there are usually 5-6 seeing the flop then call. on the flop with a lot of ppl in check fold if over cards come.

hand 6: this is tough. unless MP1 is overaggressive i would fold. you are proly up against a 76.

BugsBunny
01-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Haven't read any responses yet.

1) Probably bet out here. At the least it should limit the field and you can probably assume that anyone who calls has an A. And I fold to a raise. If nobody has an A you might take it down right here.

2) Raise. 2nd pair top kicker. You'll limit the field here giving yourself a better chance to win, *if* you're behind. Bettor may have a Q, or a J, or be on a str8 draw.

3) Fold. You have at best 5 outs and possibly only 2. You've shown strength via the c/r and he's not afraid.
Note: I'm not a huge fan of routinely c/r the flop. I think you'd be better off betting out on the flop and then c/r the turn in a lot of cases.

4) reraise or fold. Do not call. Probably reraise unless it's the type of player who only raises with a premium pair. Close decision - just flip a coin /images/graemlins/smile.gif

5) Depends on the table. If the table is running tight then I'd raise, otherwise limp. I don't, as a general rule, really like raising 88 (or 99) this early). So I'll say limp. I wouldn't even say that folding this is a bad play this early (77 I would fold). One position earlier and I'd fold the 88.

6) I fold this preflop. But since you played I would fold this for a double bet. With 4 to the str8 on the board and a bet + a raise in front someone has the str8 (if not a split pot).

BugsBunny
01-20-2004, 08:03 PM
He's not closing the action in #2 - he has all those checked hands still to act after him. I was checked around to the bettor, and he's first to act after the bet.

But I don't see any way that folding is correct here. bettor could have the Q, in which case he's behind. But bettor could also have another J or be on a str8 draw.

BugsBunny
01-20-2004, 08:23 PM
To be 3 bet maybe, but this is only a raise we're talking about. And the range of hands which MP3 could be raising with is a lot wider than the ones you mentioned.

ProfLupin
01-21-2004, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I ran into a lot of common tricky decisions today. Some of them basic (preflop play) others a little more complex. I won't claim to have all the right answers to these, and in fact there might not be "right" answers to some. Feel free to disagree w/ my prior actions on some of them, but for your final answers just consider your immeadiate action given the prior play shown...

Hand 1:
ProfLupin has J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB
UTG limps, EP2 limps, MP1(poster) checks, MP3 limps, Button folds, ProfLupin limps, BB raises, UTG calls, EP2 calls, MP1(poster) calls, MP3 calls, ProfLupin calls
Flop(12 SB): 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif
ProfLupin checks ( I've been check/raising top pair good kicker from the blinds - same situation in hand 3 ), BB could(all-in), UTG checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks
Turn(12 BB): A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I checked with the intention of folding, but then something came over me and I changed my mind when it was checked around to the button who bet. I raised, everyone folded except the button who called me down with 43 and MHIG.

Hand 2:
ProfLupin has J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is MP2
UTG limps, EP2 limps, MP1 limps, ProfLupin raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, EP2 calls, MP1 calls
Flop(12 SB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, EP2 checks, MP1 bets

I raised here...as was the consensus from you guys. Unfortunately noone folded behind me...everyone came along to the turn which was a total blank. checked to MP1 who bets again and I fold. MP1 had QQ.

Hand 3:
ProfLupin has Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB
MP2 limps, MP3 limps, Button limps, ProfLupin limps, BB checks
Flop(5 SB): 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
ProfLupin checks( see note from hand 1 ) , BB bets, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Button folds, ProfLupin raises, BB calls, MP3 calls
Turn(8 BB): A/images/graemlins/heart.gif
ProfLupin bets, BB raises, MP3 folds

I folded.

Hand 4:
ProfLupin has 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is CO
MP2 limps, MP3 raises

I didn't tell you this because I wanted to see what you guys would do in a general senario with 99. MP3's raise was from the auto-raise checkbox which made my fold easy. Someone reraised behind me with AK and a third stayed in with AJo and won the pot. MP3's auto-raise was with KK. It's a nice little tell to pay attention to /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hand 5:
ProfLupin has 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is EP3
UTG and EP2 fold.

I limped and folded on the flop when a K hit.

Hand 6:
ProfLupin has 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif and is MP3
EP2 limps, MP1 limps, ProfLupin limps, Button folds, SB limps, BB checks
Flop(5 SB): 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB checks, BB checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, ProfLupin checks
Turn(5 BB): 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks, BB checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, ProfLupin bets, SB calls, BB folds, EP2 calls, MP1 calls
River(9 BB): 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks, EP2 bets, MP1 raises

I folded thinking there was a very very very small chance someone without the straight raises here. It turns out neither EP2 nor MP1 had a 6. MP1 had A2 for the wheel and took the pot. I liked (and still like) this fold dispite the size of the pot. Saved me two BB and I think long term a crying call is -EV because it is so unlikely that my hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Tall
01-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Hand #1:

Bet the damn flop. Now that you've let the Ace slip in you should check. If you are getting 7:1 coming back to you should call, as 2-pair looks clean.

Hand#2
If you think you can knock out your opponents and get a free card you should raise, if not call.

Hand#3
Bet the damn flop again.
[ QUOTE ]
(see note from hand 1)

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, didn't you see how you f-ed that one up?

Hand#4
If the preflop raiser is a loosey-goosey and you think you can isolate than 3-bet. Otherwise fold.

Hand#5
Looks like a loose-limpy game, you should at least limp, if not raise.

Hand#6
You might want to bet the flop if you think it will limit the field and check-through the turn un-improved.
As for the river, cry, then call.

Peace,
Joe Tall