PDA

View Full Version : When and if to fold

09-14-2001, 03:17 PM
3-6 loose game-- half passive, half agressive players. I raise from early position with AdQd. MP player reraises, cutoff calls, button reraises, blinds fold, I call, MP, cutoff calls. Flop is 10h-Jc-Qc. I bet, MP raises, cutoff reraises, button reraises, I fold. Questions:

1) Should I have called reraises Pre-flop?

2) Should I have folded or seen the turn? I felt that someone had to have AK, which they did not, and also felt trapped as clubs were possible, but diamonds were not.

I am also interested in whether answers would be different for higher level games, i.e. 10-20 or 20-40.

Thanx ahead of time. Not that it matters, but turn was 8h, river 10c. MP had 9-K, cutoff Ac5c, button had pocket jacks.

09-14-2001, 03:39 PM
I'm going to respond as if I did not see your posts of the other players' holdings. It's best when posting a hand to post the results seperately.

Your raise pre-flop is fine but when it comes back at you for 2 more bets you generally should fold AQ (suited or not). In a typical game you would be up against AK or better and 10-10 or better.

The flop is not a good one for your hand. The only hand you can beat is 9-9. I check the flop to see the action. I may call a single bet when it gets back to me.

Now, since these guys are willing to re-raise with K-9 and call with A-5, all bets are off. Your call pre-flop was fine. I would still check and fold the turn to a double bet. Players like this make it difficult to know where you stand in a hand.

09-14-2001, 05:44 PM
Very Interesting hand!

I'm wondering what y'all think about the cutoff and the button's play?

Was cutoff getting proper odds to call 3 bets pre-flop?

Was the button right in re-raising with JJ against at least 3 opponents? (i.e. S&M you should have a few or a lot of callers)

On the flop, MP's raise with the medium made straight just goes to show what playing non-premium hands will get ya.

I really like cutoffs raise (Ac5c) with the flush draw, but what about the button's re-raise with trip jacks? Shouldn't button have known he was beaten?

Anyway, as far as our poster's concerns. It seems to me that he was justified in raising with AQs pre-flop in early position, and then calling raises with the odds he was getting. A check_&_see strategy on the flop may have been in order, but I don't think so. Top pair best kicker should feel very vulnerable on such an intimidating flop as this. Therefore, the best strategy in this case seems to be bet and fold. Bet in hopes that you can reduce the field (or less likely drag the pot), and fold when you realize that you can't.