PDA

View Full Version : Why Lori will go back to hating limit (bad beat story)

Ulysses
01-20-2004, 12:38 AM
OK. I think this is so stupid it doesn't even count as a bad beat story. Just as something so ridiculous it's funny.

Lori recently posted a hand that showed why limit is so fun to play when you're dragging huge pots from dumb calling stations. Here's a reminder why it also often results in broken monitors.

Party 10/20 6-max.

1 limper to me on the button w/ JQs. I raise. Blinds and limper call.

Flop KsKh7c

Checked to me. I bet. Small blind and limper call.

Turn KsKh7cJc

Checked to me. I bet. Both call.

River KsKh7cJc5c

SB now bets. Limper folds. I think about it a second and call.

SB shows 2c3c. I love poker.

William
01-20-2004, 12:51 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif
BTW, who is Lori? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JTG51
01-20-2004, 01:40 AM
You suck at limit hold'em. If you were any good, you would have had KJ instead of QJ.

JohnShaft
01-20-2004, 01:44 AM
OK. Let me do one.

5/10 Pacific. First hand.

I get dealt 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in BB.
6 limpers to me, with the SB.
I raise. They all call.

Flop 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I check, it's checked to the Button who (has $14 left and) Bets. SB folds. I raise, 3 callers to Button who Raises Allin.
I cap. All call 2 more cold.

Turn 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I bet, UTG calls Allin for $9. EP calls, other Folds.

River 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I make a debatable bet. Only guy not Allin (EP) Folds.

UTG wins the pot with 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Yes that's the 3 hi Flush draw, not the Ace high one.

Button can't even beat that.

I get like $12 back.
Woop.

Ulysses
01-20-2004, 05:29 AM
I'm in SB w/ [ Ks, As ]

OK raises UTG. Tilty calls. Fold, fold, I 3-bet. OK caps it. Tilty calls. I call.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Qs, 6s, 6c ]

I bet. OK calls. Tilty raises. I 3-bet. OK folds. Tilty caps. I call.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Js ]

I check. Tilty bets. I checkraise. Tilty 3-bets. I cap. Tilty calls.

** Dealing River ** : [ 8h ]

I bet. Tilty raises. I 3-bet. Tilty caps. I call, ready to go a few more raises.

Tilty balance $125.50, lost $240 [ Kh 6d ] [ three of a kind, sixes -- Kh,Qs,6d,6s,6c ]

akshawnd balance $2487, bet $240, collected $538, net +$298 [ Ks As ] [ a flush, ace high -- As,Ks,Qs,Js,6s ]

Nottom
01-20-2004, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
akshawnd balance $2487, bet $240, collected $538, net +$298 [ Ks As ] [ a flush, ace high -- As,Ks,Qs,Js,6s ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I must of missed the post where we finally outed akshawnd. I thought he was still a mystery figure. Guess that shows how much I acually pay attention here.

MRBAA
01-20-2004, 04:35 PM
Ahem. You don't think you played the first hand well, I hope? Raised preflop with a marginal hand (in a game where players don't fold). Bet flop when you missed (in a game where even a 7 is calling you). Got a piece on the turn (nice suckout), got burned on the river .

I'd call this a Wild Kingdom hand, as we see two fishes in a primal struggle for the pot.

James282
01-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Dude that comment about a Wild Kingdom pot is freaking hilarious.
-James

Lost Wages
01-20-2004, 05:37 PM
That's just what I was thinking. Is this a joke? Is he coming out? Or did he just fluke-up?

Lost Wages

Ulysses
01-20-2004, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ahem. You don't think you played the first hand well, I hope?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I played it great. What would you have done differently?

Ulysses
01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
I revealed myself as akshawnd a while back...

Vehn
01-20-2004, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I played it great. What would you have done differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been said several times that you made a serious mistake by not having KJ here. How many more times do we need to beat it into your skull? Now this is why you newbies aren't crushing these games. YOU are what's wrong with the small stakes forum.

p.s. I want a cigarette.

Lost Wages
01-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Sorry, I missed it /images/graemlins/blush.gif. Not hard to believe though. Your analysis of hands is top notch.

Lost Wages

J.R.
01-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Raised preflop with a marginal hand (in a game where players don't fold). Bet flop when you missed (in a game where even a 7 is calling you). Got a piece on the turn (nice suckout), got burned on the river .

Are you serious? Folding preflop would be horrible, limping not much better. Why do you think players don't fold in 10-20 6-max? The flop is checked to him and he should check, against 2 opponents where he was the preflop aggressor on a scary board unlikely to have hit anyone? All the sudden his opponent has a 7? Suck out, he was ahead of the 23 for sure and who knows about the open-limper. I hate to be rude but I don't think he made one mistake in this hand. Do you play 6-max much?

MRBAA
01-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Okay. Sorry if I got a bit sarcastic, it was just in fun. I don't play online a ton, but have played 6-max he and stud a fair bit, at 1-2 though, averaging about 4bb/hr (no big deal, I know). I also know Ulysses is a a strong player from reading his posts, and that he plays higher. BUT Q-Js in a short game with a limper in and bad players (who will tend to call more than they should, in my experience) I don't think this hand is strong enough to raise. So yeah, I'd call pre-flop and check/fold the flop here. Give me A-10 here and I'm raising preflop and betting the flop. I wasn't saying I was specifically afraid of a 7, I'm just saying that NOTHING that beats you is folding if your opponents are loose gooses and your hand doesn't have show down value unimproved often enough. So yeah, I think this a losing play against opponents who won't fold -- which is most opponents I've played with at limits through 5-10.

Now his other play, and that posted by John Shaft in this thread, I like much more.

Ulysses
01-20-2004, 07:16 PM
I'm surprised by how you would play this hand. I'm going to post it on the HE/SH Forum to see what players there think. Chime in over there.

AceHigh
01-20-2004, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
where we finally outed akshawnd

[/ QUOTE ]

When did we find out akshawnd was gay?

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Guess I have to read the News/Gossip pages more often.

CrackerZack
01-20-2004, 08:33 PM
I missed it too. And we're both carpal tunnels. Scary thought. I think missing this is part of the reason I suck at poker.