PDA

View Full Version : 3-6 he hand

09-13-2001, 06:19 PM
I'm playing in a 3-6 game filled with loose-passive players except for the guy to my left who is very loose-aggresive and will hencefore be known as WT (wild thing).

I really think I made several mistakes playing this hand and would like to know what you guys think.

I havent played a hand in a long while and decide to limp utg with 77 (Mistake 1?). Guy to my left raises, button (new player i dont have any kind of read on), SB (calling station) and I call. Flop comes 5h 7d, 9d. SB check, I bet out, WT raises, button calls, SB folds.... Here I'm unsure.. WT has raised utg with A-10o and Q-10o but i still dont think he has 6-8 i put him on AKd, AQd or an overpair. I raise i figure myself to have the best hand here and i dont want the button drawing to a flush cheaply. WT 4 bets and button drops.

Turn is the 4d making the flush I check call (another mistake).

River is the Kd giving a four flush on board I check call again (its a prety sizable pot by now). He shows down JJ and I take it.

Was I right to 3 bet on the flop? what about just check/calling him down should I have popped a check/raise in their? Any comments are appreciated

Brendan

09-13-2001, 07:03 PM
I think you play the hand fine. I would probably lead out on the turn again, because even if he just made the flush, you still have outs to make a full house. On the river, you probably have to check-call when 4 diamonds on board.

09-13-2001, 07:28 PM
You should already have determined whether playing small pairs or small suited connectors is a good idea for your game. Generally that means that most pots are unraised with 5 opponents. The presense of a "wild thing" has mixed blessings: more raises and less callers, but more action after the flop.

I cannot seem to reconcile the label "wild thing" with someone you presume has AQ or TT or better. True "wild things" can easily have flopped a straight, small set, or just about anything.

Never-the-less there is NO reason AT ALL for thoughts of "being beat" to be in your head on the flop. Figure out how to maximize their investment in this hand. 3-betting is probably the best way to do that.

When he caps it, "flush draw" should be your primary suspision. Once the flush gets there and you are heads-up there is little reason to keep betting. Calling him down, and even on the end is very reasonable. Raising the turn will discourage him from bluffing the river, which is bad since you intend to call.

- Louie

09-13-2001, 07:46 PM
If the game is truly loose-passive, limping UTG with 77 is OK.

You played the flop perfectly. I virtually always bet a set from early position, hoping to get in a reraise, then I bet the turn.

When the flush card comes on the turn, and you are heads up, calling him down is OK.

Obviously call the river, the pot is too big not to call a single opponent in this case.

09-14-2001, 12:58 AM
1. Limping with 77 UTG is ok.

2. I would have check-raised the flop.

3. I would have bet into him on the turn.

If he raises, 3 bet. Remember you are heads up with the WT. You also can win even if he has a flush.

4. Check-call at the river is fine.

09-14-2001, 04:11 PM
IMO, you played it right. If you play the flop differently, you might not lose the button. Think your goal there is to get heads up against WT, and button is scary. Especially the way the hand turned out, chances are you chased away the winner by reraising.

09-17-2001, 01:28 PM
Two thoughts occur to me. First, I agree that if he really is a WT, then you can't really put him on any specific hand, much less a power hand. The second thought is whether he has shown an ability to lay down hands when shown re-heat, or does he grind it out to the bitter end. If the former is true, then I'd consider a re-raise BTF from the small blind and try to get heads-up, albeit out of position. If he's a true WT, then I like your chances of being ahead BTF (which would have been incorrect in this case, of course).