PDA

View Full Version : a little different play

09-13-2001, 04:15 PM
on a lucrative 3-6,....MP i have AK...1 limper..i raise, 1 caller sb reraises, i call.

flop A x x

sb bets, limper folds, i raise, 1 calls, sb calls.

now at this point i should explain, watching the sb play i know he dosesnt have trip A...he timidly calls. this is also an arrogant A hole who was chastising another players play. and not quietly. he also hasnt seen me in a hand for about 1/2 hr. hes solid but not overly great. i put him on an A but maybe with a K ,Q, or J latter 2 suited.

turn comes....K

he checks and watches me while i check he responds loudly with disbelief on his face with "YOU CHECKED!!!" whole table stops. i just firmly say " yes , i checked" 1 caller also checks....tables kinda quiet now

river comes with a blank.......sb bets, i raise, i caller says flabbergasted that shes not sure what to do. she folds. sb looks and after a little time meekly puts his chips in to call. we both have AK. i never saw the man so relieved.

i looked at it this way, on the turn if he had a set, id have heard from him. the way he reacted to my check, i didnt figure him for pocket Ks either. he woulda been quiet. thats the way he plays. if i catch him on the river with AQ hes stuck, when he called i figured we were tied. but the monotany this broke at the table was priceless. in hindsite, he wouldve called anyway if i bet the turn, but MAY have folded a river bet. maybe. but with top 2 i think he woulda called. even though he almost folded the river anyway. close call. but since the pot was small in relation to how pots normally were at this table, i decided to have a little fun, and maybe put this guy in a different frame of mind. and judging from his reaction, it worked a little. AND it calmed him from being mr. critical about other players play.

comments welcome...

09-13-2001, 05:04 PM
I prefer to bet the turn and not give a free card since there's also a 3rd players presence. Maybe it's just me. I think Louie has good advice of playing straight forward poker from his previous posts...

09-13-2001, 05:38 PM
Whether your play was perfect or not doesn't really matter, as you were clearly thinking about what you were doing when you were playing this hand. that puts you light years ahead of most of your likely opponents at a 3-6 table. I'm not so sure I would have given the free card to the other player on the turn, but then again, it looks like SB was trying to check-raise and put you to the test.