PDA

View Full Version : I sucked out, but did I misplay?

ZeeJustin
01-19-2004, 04:40 PM
6 handed 10/20 at party. The game has an average pot of $160, which accurately implies that the game is looser than normal.

UTG folds. A decent player that may or may not be a long term winner and is slightly on the loose/passive side open raises from 2 off the button. CO folds. Button folds. A horrible player in the SB that is a very loose caller calls. I call in the BB with 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]

SB checks. I check. LP bets. SB calls. I raise. LP 3 bets. SB calls. I call.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]

SB checks. I check. LP bets. SB calls. I raise. LP says "sh it" and calls. SB calls.

** Dealing River ** : [ 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]

SB checks. I bet.

Results in white: <font color="white"> LP calls. SB folds.
I win. LP has 2 black jacks. </font>

naphand
01-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Interesting hand. I was talking with someone about calling a raise from the BB with hands like 78, and looking for a low-medium flop (plenty of PF raises will be overcards to this, no need to automatically assume a pair).

With the ultra-loose limper adding equity to the pot I think your call PF was OK; although it's not one I would automatically make, the circumstances were right here.

Flop raise - fine. 3-bet makes it look like an overpair but you have 9 outs, plus the SB is STILL calling... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Turn, you caught one of your outs and I'm only really worried about the board pairing on the River. LP clearly wants the board to pair but also TT or JJ give additional outs for the straight (if he has TT or JJ), so we don't want to see either of those cards either. No idea about SB, but I'm guessing a naked A.

River a bit twitchy, but that's a value bet.

You sucked out 78 against JJ, but your PF play is sound, you are getting 5:1 and obviously fold any flop that your hand does not fit. The flop was good for you and gave you plenty of outs, and from then on everything looks fine to me. 9 outs (on the Flop) is not a suckout, not with the SB calling along.

I think this kind of hand can lose a few small pots, but win some reasonable to good ones. Plus your opponent puts you down as a loose caller, which may have some EV in itself.

Schneids
01-19-2004, 06:44 PM
I would have played the hand exactly the same way, the majority of the time.

James282
01-20-2004, 03:13 AM
uh huh, well played!
-James

eugeneel
01-20-2004, 03:37 AM
very good analysis. I agree with everything, but for me the preflop call would be automatic.

-Eugene