PDA

View Full Version : QQ on the button

09-09-2001, 07:39 PM
5/10 holdem, 10 players.

utg2 is very loose preflop when limping, but plays somewhat weak tight postflop. when he 3 bets the flop probably means AA,KK,QQ,JJ with slight chance of AKs or TT.

preflop: utg 2 bets. utg2 3 bets. all fold to me with QQ on button, and i 4 bet.

flop: 249r

utg checks. utg2 bet. i raise. utg folds. utg2 calls.

turn: 6r

utg2 check-calls.

river: J

utg2 checks. i check behine.

this may sound like a somewhat routine hand, but i'd like to hear if someone else would play this hand any differently. i'll post the result later if anyone's interested.

09-09-2001, 07:56 PM
I think that's the way I'd play it, but it might be smarter to check the turn behind him in case he's holding a higher pocket pair, if he's unlikely to reraise with anything but aa, kk or ak.

09-10-2001, 01:29 AM
Based on your analysis you would probably be a little better off not to four bet but to only call the three bets before the flop. Now if an overcard falls you can fold, and if the flop comes smaller than your queen you have the option to raise. The exception to this is if you think that by four betting you will get the initial raiser to fold. In my experience, most players won't do that (even though they probably should with many of their raising hands).

Given that you did make it four bets, I think you played it fine. One thing to realize is that if your opponent only had AK he would probably not bet the flop anc not call your turn bet. So your check on the river is certainly justified and it likely seems to me that you were beat. This is especially true since a jack hit on the river.

09-10-2001, 02:55 AM
And what do you do if he bets the river when another low card hits?

You should read this article by Bob Ciaffone from the previous Card Player Magazine. Its very good and relates to situations such as this.

KJS

09-10-2001, 02:58 AM
I guess you can't post hyperlinks anymore. You can copy and paste this:

http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/articleview.jsp?art_id=344

KJS

09-10-2001, 03:11 AM
It seems utg2 would bet or check-raise the turn if he had AA. His most likely hand is KK, with a slight chance of QQ or TT. Your 4-bet pre-flop has him fearing an AA in your hand. I think. Pls let us know.

09-10-2001, 03:16 AM

09-10-2001, 04:41 AM
thanks for all the suggestions.

utg2 turns over AA and took down the pot (i did mention he's pretty weak tight).

after the hand, i was thinking if i'm almost certain that the utg2 has either AA, KK, QQ, or JJ, (so most likely i'm an underdog) would it be correct to lay down QQ since i haven't invested anything in the pot? or would that be too weak tight preflop? it's hard to lay down QQ...

09-10-2001, 01:28 PM
I think you should play it. First, there is some chance he has AK or JJ and you can beat that. Second, even if he has AA or KK you can still flop a set. But these are reasons not to make it four bets.

09-15-2001, 01:30 AM