PDA

View Full Version : Did I overplay my small set?

captheflop
01-19-2004, 04:22 PM
10/20 must move game

at Muckleshoot. I'm in mid position with 5 5. I limp along with about 6 other people. BB checks his option as I comment, what no big pair this time (he had been on a run of high pocket pairs).

Flop: T 8 5 suits irrelavent

A good flop for me. EP bets, i decide to just call and then pop the turn. I don't remember for sure, but I think we only lost 1 or 2 people.

Turn: A

A nice card for me, as I don't think anybody had Aces. BB checks, UTG bets, I raise, a bunch of people fold, then the BB 3 bets, UTG thinks for a while and calls, I think for a minute putting the BB on A T and cap it and both call.

A rag comes on the river and it is checked to me, I bet, BB and UTG call. I show my set and then BB flips over TT for a higher flopped set. UTG had AT.

Did I overplay my low set? BB said the only reason he didn't raise me on the river was he feared I had slowplayed pocket Aces.

I have only recently started playing 10/20 on a somewhat regular basis and am curious what you think of my betting.

SoBeDude
01-19-2004, 04:29 PM
you played it fine.

Be thankful the set of tens didn't charge you the max.

-Scott

andyfox
01-19-2004, 04:30 PM
A-T doesn't make much sense for the BB since he only check-called the flop. One would think he would have check-raised to try to protect his vulnerable to overcards top pair or bet out. Unlikely he'd 3-bet the turn with a weaker hand, so yeah, it looks like time to fear a set.

Manzanita
01-19-2004, 04:33 PM
captheflop,

You played the hand well. The guy with TT is the one who could have played it better.

-- Manzanita

Garland
01-19-2004, 04:36 PM
To fear another set would be playing poor poker. Hitting a set in itself is very hard (pair in hand + 8:1 flopping). Two people having a set at the same time is very rare. That being said, since there are no flushes or straights out there, you have to figure that they are at least reraising on two pair (top two, or, like you imagined in your worst nightmare, a better set).

You played it fine. Be glad the set of tens didn't pop you again.

Garland

skp
01-19-2004, 08:19 PM
BB might play A8 or A5 the same way. Maybe even AK or Aq.

I would cap it just like our hero. I would also bet it like hero once bb checks the river. If bb bet the river after I capped the turn, then I would just call based on what you said about the unlikelihood of him having played AT like that on the flop and the unlikelihood of him betting out with A8 or A5 on the river after I had capped the turn.

Eric P
01-19-2004, 08:23 PM
i had 66 in a game that was so wild, you should fly out from vegas to play in it, 10-20 home game.

I get 66 i limper in front of me and 500 is flying into the pot after the flop so often that i can't resist, i call raise to my left which means that he either won or lost the last hand, rasie to his right which is actually cause for concern (could be AJs or better) and then it's capped by a drunk guy that literally caps it every time it's 3 bets to him, every single time. 2 calls gives me 6-1 to see the flop, which is enough for me to call 3 more bets (i'm right aren't i?)

flop: Qd 6s 3c
Thank god, now i can get unstuck. One of the blinds bets, there is ar aise behind me somewhere 100% of the time so i call so i can c/r 3-5 people most likely. It ends up hitting the raising corner that has juts been going nuts on every flop like you wouldn't belive and it comes back to me capped. I have to pause for a moment when a solid player calls 4 bets cold, i don't think i can get away from my set and i don't really know what he has, could be AQs KK AA 33? hard to say
Turn is an 8.
I check, drunk guys actually check solid player bets, i don't know what to think but i raise 2 drunks call 2, he 3-bets, i call drunks call. is a 7 and I bet out he raises me and i call, QQQ beats my 666 ;( oh well. what did i do wrong

P.S. let me reitterate that folding the flop was not an option until solid player calls 4 cold, i think i got blinded by my set and being happy i finally had 2nd nuts in this crazy crazy game, in which i won 3 pots in 5 hours (but oddly enouhg i won my big blind uncontested twice...). Do you think that his call is strange enough to merit me folding here?

chesspain
01-19-2004, 09:00 PM
You played it well, and were lucky that you didn't lose even more money on this hand. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

JayKon
01-20-2004, 01:25 AM
Yes, I agree with the field, you played it well and should be happy the T's played poorly.

andyfox
01-20-2004, 01:37 AM
UTG bet the flop of T-8-5. He still bets when the turn card is an ace, gets raised, and now the BB, after checking when he hit what he must fear would be a scare card to other potential betters, is going to 3-bet with A-8 or A-5 or A-K or A-Q? Just doesn't seem too likely to me. That 3-bet would scare the pants off of me. So I would have just called and called again on the river.

I do agree though, that if I had capped the turn and they then checked to me on the river, I'd bet it too (at these stakes anyway).

captheflop
01-20-2004, 10:47 AM