PDA

View Full Version : anyone else noticing this at their cardrooms?

bernie
01-19-2004, 03:31 PM
i haven't actually seen it, but i've heard about it from many dealers and regulars.

new players overacting trying to imitate the players on the WPT. getting up in the middle of a hand, acting like they really have a tough decision and fumbling with their chips forever. greatly slowing up the game.

i guess there were 2 of these guys on a table the other night. i wondered if the button even went around once during the dealers down. (1/2 hour)

anyone else notice this?

and if so, do you say anything?

b

rkiray
01-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Haven't been playing much live lately, but did play 5.5 days over holidays at Mirage, Bellagio and Mandalay Bay. I didn't notice anything like this.

el_grande
01-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Kind of, but not that dramatic.

I have seen some younger players sit and think for a long time (30sec+) at the river even though they are holding the nuts, obviously trying to induce a call.

There's a lot of people wearing sunglasses in 3/6 and 4/8 limit games. I think it's a symptom of the same problem.

Warik
01-19-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
greatly slowing up the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen anything like that but there was this one jerk who wanted to add dramatic effect to his heads-up river raise by flipping one of his pocket cards (a 9) with 2 nines on the board. Flipped it and sat for a bit scratching his chin contemplating a raise and then put it out.

Another time a guy flipped one of his cards at the showdown to show a pair which got beat by the other guy's 2 pair. After the dealer got the pot ready to slide to the winner, the guy flips his other card and says "two pair no good - I have a straight too" only to add confusion and more slowness to the game.

It's slow enough with a live dealer having to shuffle manually every hand. Just flip your cards, take your pot, and shut up for the next hand.

Barry
01-19-2004, 06:04 PM
I have seen some players take forever in contemplating their "dramatic" decisions. Usually they are somewhat younger and wearing baseball caps and sunglasses.

bunky9590
01-19-2004, 06:12 PM
I had a Scotty Nguyen clone at my table. I just busted him in a couple hands and gavehim my worst Scotty imitation back. He slowed up on the imitations when he was down over a rack of red at the 6-12 game.

chesspain
01-19-2004, 06:28 PM
This summer I was playing in a 2/4 game at Foxwoods, and I was headsup against a young, Phil Ivey lookalike who was sitting on the other end of the table. The board was TTxxx. After much raising and reraising on the flop and turn, we end up at the river, where I'm feeling pretty good about my KTs.

At the showdown, young master Ivey gives me a cocky look and slowly holds up his one T. I just smile and say "What else you got there?" With his composure now shattered, he holds up a J, after which I flash my cards and take the pot.

He left shortly thereafter.

calvin
01-19-2004, 06:47 PM
I have heard the dealers (mostly off of the table at the time) complain about all of the damn WPT kids, and how they take 3 minutes to call a $4 raise, etc.

I think there has been a real flux of "kids" to the cardroom following the poker explosion on TV. Generally speaking, most of these players are young, and wear caps and shades. Personally, I haven't played with many who take a long time when making a decision, or put on a show--but I know that it goes on frequently judging from the dealers complaints.

As a side not to one of the other posters in this thread, I have started to wear shades any time I play 4/8 or higher. I am a college kid, and love the glances and sly grins of the players when I sit down on a 4/8 table with a few racks and put on my glasses--I think most of the time they are thinking what an easy player I will be to take down. Lucky for me, I tend to get called (more often I think) on my raises early in the game, or until I have showdown a strong hand. I truly believe that there is a lot of value in dressing up my appearance to that of the stereotypical "WPT kid."

Any comments on table image in this regard? Do you stereotype a young player with sunglasses on as naturally a poor player? If so, that's great news for me to hear--I may have to go Phil Ivey and wear a 76ers jersey to compelete my "look."

Interesting thread, curious to see replies regarding the power of the "WPT kid" image.

Calvin

Mike
01-19-2004, 07:08 PM
You mean the one(s) holding J3o and contemplate calling that HUGE sb on the flop with AK8 on the board? The one's that talk about Brunson and Ivey as though they are close friends?

Asking them if they are going all in during a dramatic post flop pause usually has been good at getting the point across. Love their chips and fresh blood though!

LivingLegend58
01-19-2004, 07:45 PM
When i do watch the travel channel, i do notice that matches are very drug out. I couldn't really pin point it on the am players though.

Catch of the Day
01-19-2004, 07:51 PM
I know Living Legend58, and I, on many an ocassion, have seen him behave just like that. Getting up, calling time, walking around, Showing cards to the croud. Dispicable if you ask me...

el_grande
01-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Every person who sits down at the table begins with a stereotype in my mind.

Old people are rocks
Young kids are loose-agressive
Guys with shades don't know much
There are few racial stereotypes that I won't mention
Women players are either very solid or very clueless

But the thing is, as soon as I see 5 hands or so these stereotypes mean very little. I only believe them without any other information. And when I say "believe" I mean it in the weakest sense possible - i.e. all other things equal, I will use it.

So if you are a young kid wearing shades, yes I think you are an idiot. But 15 minutes later I see you folding a lot pre-flop and then I see you turn over a hand S&M would recommend playing, I peg you as solid.

Vehn
01-19-2004, 08:15 PM
I think you should peg anyone playing below 5/10 in a B&M card barn as clueless as they're guaranteed to be getting raked to death.

Joe Tall
01-19-2004, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone else notice this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, over and over.

[ QUOTE ]
and if so, do you say anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't really care. The dealers should be pushing them a bit and as long as the WPT fills the pool, I'm happy for it.

Peace,
Joe Tall

tpir90036
01-20-2004, 01:54 AM
at the taj there was this young douche who thought he was sammy farha jr. in a 5/10 game near mine. he had on a suit, sunglasses and had an unlit cigarette either behind his ear or in his mouth. maybe he came from the club or was on his way to the club. either way, he looked ridiculous.

i just don't understand why you would want to call that much attention to yourself.

the scotty nguyen clone at my table was busted out very quickly after getting isolated by my friends sitting to his left many times. he lost one big pot and claimed he got sucked out on and started mouthing off so this younger kid asked the dealer to see his cards. this made scotty very angry when it turned out he raised every street with 8 high and no pairs.

long live poker on tv....

RustedCorpse
01-20-2004, 03:05 AM
Taj is bad on my level (2-4, 3-6). In the last three weeks I'd say at least twice a night I've had some kid try to go "all-in". The other night board came T Q T this 28 year old kid (yes cap glasses) immediatly flipped over his cards (QT) and pushed all his chips to the middle. I have to say it was pretty funny to see.
I'm glad for it actually considering I'm 25 and wear a baseball cap (granted I've worn this same hat for like 8 years) but I do think I get called more because of my look. It's a nice plus till I become a better player.

thirddan
01-20-2004, 03:23 AM
had the exact same thing happen to me, except that im the young one and some old regular rock only showed me one J on a board of JJAxx, after capping it on all streets against this guy. he was a real jerk and he was even less happy when i turned over my AJ, turns out he has J7 UTG... Seems like older "regulars" don't give enough respect to younger players some of the time

Barry
01-20-2004, 06:53 PM
El Grande's got it right. On average, the sunglasses and shades folks are worse than average players. So do I think that it is a good thing when they sit down at the table? Yes of course.

But all I have to do is watch them play for 1/2 hour or so to see whether the stereotype holds true for this one.

Trix
01-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Hehe Rustedcorpse, you must have fell off the chair when this happened, I almost did /images/graemlins/grin.gif