PDA

View Full Version : Rivered, but was it my fault

09-07-2001, 11:42 PM
I'm the sb with AdQd and with an early pos caller, two middle pos callers and the button calling, I raise, bb folds all the rest call. Flop is K,J,10 rainbow, no diamonds.I check, middle pos bets, call, call, I raise, everybody calls. Now, Jc comes on turn, don't like it, so check, checked to button who bets, I call and two other callers, river is 5h, check to button who bets, I call, and I think one other, but no matter, button turns up 5-5 for a small full to win. Did I really goof up or is this just one of those grin and bear it scenarios where you got to like the guy hanging in there for future play. He said he was trying to steal on the turn, which make sense, then the 5 came and there he was. Ouch!!

09-07-2001, 11:59 PM
A big flop like that to slow play is a big no no. Btw, you need to bet the turn. You really play like a little girl so getting sucked out is well deserved. This is a good example of how a hand should not be played.

09-08-2001, 12:31 AM
John--what happens frequently with this condition in LL loose games is that you lose to a flush or full, or get tied and have to split the pot. With so many players at least some are playing high cards. The one small positive with this flop is that it's easy for opponents to make a king high straight. I have learned the hard way that, with many callers, you must bet/raise with straights at every opportunity and hope for the best. I am a 2 year player and not that experienced, so I would appreciate other opinions.

09-08-2001, 02:20 AM
I would have definitely check-raised the turn here. The

pot is large enough to protect the str8.

09-08-2001, 07:34 AM
Preflop, I'm more a kind of player to just limp in in SB, but nothing wrong with raising here.

With such a flop, it's very likely people have hit that flop. Also because it's coordinated you shouldnt slowplay. I would bet out and pound on every opportunity.

On the turn you have to bet out again. There's absolutely no reason at the moment that you're beat because a set, KJ or JT would probably also have fastplayed the flop, given it's nature.

Regards

09-08-2001, 10:58 PM
the answer to your question is in the facts of the case as often it is. the button player bet into you and others with a pair of fives with k,jj,t on board. no bets or check raises iare going to get this person out, so you just had a tough beat. whether you should have bet or checked raised on the turn is moot as its real possible for your hand to lose, and getting extra callers helps. just remember that splits come into play if an ace or queen hit the board so if the pot is too big you may not want to let someone in cheap for that occurence. good luck.