PDA

View Full Version : I hit the trifecta but lose...

ElSapo
01-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
Hero has Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif and is BB

Button limps, SB folds, Hero checks

Flop(2 SB): T/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, Button calls

Turn(3 BB): A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, Button 3-bets, Hero calls

River(9 BB): 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, Button bets, Hero raises, Button 3-bets, Hero calls

TheRake
01-19-2004, 02:10 PM
Elsapo,

The look on your face says it all /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guess the button played you well...bummer!

Did you tell him NH or just bust up your keyboard?

TheRake

chesspain
01-19-2004, 04:16 PM
Sap,

I'm confused...you didn't cap the turn yet you checkraised him for a third time on the river? It seems like you didn't quite know what to do.

Since you opponent is not afraid of anything you are holding, I would have just called the three-bet on the turn, checkcalled the river, and been prepared to see the higher flush.

ramjam
01-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Yes, I too find it much easier to get in three check-raises when I have the worse hand.

MrBlini
01-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Ewww. Cap the turn if you're going to be aggressive on the river.

I disagree with chesspain's 3-bet call on the turn, although the difference in how we would play the turn probably doesn't affect the EV of the hand dramatically. There are just so many hands that your flush is ahead of that will 3-bet here: KQ, AJ and AT (especially with A/images/graemlins/club.gif), AA with A/images/graemlins/club.gif .... Get the bets in while you have a good chance of being ahead.

Unless the river were scary, I'd then bet out and call a raise.

chesspain
01-19-2004, 06:51 PM
I think that MrBlini's strategy is fine, and may well be better than mine. I couldn't decide between caping the turn/betting out on the river, or the more cautious plan I posted.

I just thought that the triple checkraise without capping either the turn or river seemed somewhat confused.

MrBlini
01-19-2004, 07:03 PM
I think chesspain's strategy is fine, and may well be better than mine. I am being cautious in a different way here. I'm very wary of what an A/images/graemlins/club.gif without another /images/graemlins/club.gif will do in this situation. I wholly agree that the check-raising the river makes no sense if you do not cap the turn.