PDA

View Full Version : AK and AQ

SpiderMnkE
01-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Party Poker .5/1

Hey everybody...

ok.. I have 1400 hands in my poker tracker. I know this is nothing.. but AKo and AQo are losing me money. I've had AKo 17 times. Even that might not be much for all I know. But, my game selection has always involved a lot of limping... you know, big mulitway pots. So obviously most of my money has come from my little pps, big pairs, suited connectors, and Ax suiteds. My question is, should I just stop playing AK and AQ off in these games? or am I running bad with them and need to give them more time.

triplc
01-19-2004, 01:08 PM
It's probably just bad luck...keep playing them as they are among the best hands you can get. If you aren't willing to play with AKo, then what are you willing to play with?

In what position have you gotten these hands? have you raised them or limped? If you are getting beaten by little pairs and the like, it's probably just a bad run of cards. Play them, and play them aggressively when you hit to drive out the draws and make the little pairs and weak kickers pay for staying in.

CCC

triplc
01-19-2004, 01:10 PM
One other question...how far do you go with these hands? Do you release them on the flop when they don't hit and the pot is small? Are you calling to the river hoping to hit an A or K. One of my biggest leaks is sticking with these guys when it's probably just best to dump 'em.

CCC

SpiderMnkE
01-19-2004, 01:17 PM
typically I just drop them if I don't hit an A or K. I always raise pf.. yet.. in late position after 6 limpers this is useless cuz it will never hold up. In ep somehow I actually have more luck because only about 3 will call the raise, and it might hold up. I usually drop my tptk to a turn raise.. cuz I've learned that a turn raise usually means strength... at least saying they have better than tptk. So yeah... I mean.. it seems like at these tables tptk hardly wins... and I can't push the draws out with aggressiveness as they don't care that my raise cuts their odds in half.

I dunno.. I'm making about 6 bb/100 but I've lost about $20 with AKo and AQo

TheRake
01-19-2004, 01:28 PM
There is a good thread here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=433883&page=&view=&sb =5&o=) about playing AK. Also within this thread JoeTall provides a link to a post about "chasing with AK and AQ" which may be more relevant to this post.

Good stuff.....give it a read...

TheRake

Norm
01-19-2004, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JoeTall provides a link to a post about "chasing with AK and AQ" which may be more relevant to this post.

Good stuff.....give it a read...

[/ QUOTE ]

It is good to see the thread I started over a month ago is still getting reviewed. I know my AK AQ play has improved greatly since my original post. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif