PDA

View Full Version : Weirdo hand

09-07-2001, 12:06 PM
I am in the BB in an unraised pot with 8c2c.

6 of us see the flop (SB drops so I am first to act on every street).

Flop: 9d 8d 8h

I check and UTG bets out. Next to act (NTA) raises, and two people cold call (Player 4 and 5). I call. UTG calls. I'm planning to Mason this hand, waiting for a non diamond or straight turn card to pop it. As well, I do have to be worried that someone else might have the other 8..

Turn: 8s

Or maybe I don't. I check, UTG checks, NTA bets, and all four of us call, with UTG making comments about somebody lying. I am planning to bet the river no matter what hits and in fact barely even notice the...

River: 6d

I bet out, UTG almost falls out of her chair in shock. She calls, NTA folds, 4 raises, 5 folds, I reraise all in, and UTG folds.

4 shows 7d5d for the straight flush and wins.

Curious about thoughts on how I played this hand (yes, 4 was clueless; and very mad when he realized we wouldn't be taking the bad beat jackpot). Somewhat symptomatic of my night, I'm afraid.

09-07-2001, 01:14 PM
I like your play. You have basically an ALMOST unbeatable hand. Why scare anyone away? One card in the deck beat you. Bad luck happens.

I would tilt reraise all-in here too. You are pretty sure you are beat... what else could she be raising on you have the 8. I don't think there is anyway you win this hand... no matter how hard you pound away. You are not going to get the gutshot straight flush to fold...

Sorry Dave,

Derrick

09-07-2001, 05:01 PM
When the flop is 988 and there is a bet, a raise, and 3 cold calls, then SOMEBODY has an 8, and only the most inexperienced players don't know that. If so, it is asking a bit much to expect NTA to bet on the turn unless he can beat your hand.

3-bet the flop.

On the turn there is a bet and 2 calls. You should definately raise here since you are in great position vis-a-vis the bettor and the callers. It would be different with your nuts if the bettor was on your right and potential callers would face 2 bets if you raised. Then CONSIDER flat calling. It may also be different if you think these people can call one bet but then fold for one more bet, but that's rare in low-limit players.

Routinely slow playing monsters is silly. Routinely flail away unless you can think of a good specific reason not to; and I'll admit these reasons are fairly common.

- Louie

09-08-2001, 03:06 PM
When ever you hit a second set with low kicker I think you should bet out immediately. In this particular hand there is a over set out there,9's, a flush draw,straight draw and a set of 8's with a better kicker.

09-08-2001, 03:53 PM
I don't understand why players continually slowplay their big hands. Big hands are rare, build a big pot by raising, re-raising whatever it takes. If you don't check raise the flop, definitely raise the turn. You can't ask for better position and anyone with a 9 is coming anyways (they may re-raise for you). If the diamond draws want to come let them. If they drop out, you don't lose much as they would only call on the river if they hit their flush or pair up.

09-11-2001, 01:41 PM
i don't see how you can say that there was possibly a better 8 out there... the case 8 came on the turn...