PDA

View Full Version : Mike Caro and overaggression with two pair...a hand

ProfLupin
01-19-2004, 12:15 PM
So I was rereading "Caro's Fundamental Secrets of Winning Poker" which is a nice little book full of little tidbits to keep your game sharp.
One of his tips is to not raise on the flop without the top two pair on a board where all cards are over a 9. His example is this:
You hold K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif and you and three others see the flop: A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
One player bets, another calls and one left to act behind you. Call or raise?
Caro says call.

Now I had forgotten this piece of advice when I got this hand:

ProfLupin has T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and is MP3

UTG limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, ProfLupin raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls
Is this a limp rather than a raise?

Flop(12 SB): J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, ProfLupin bets, Button calls, BB raises, UTG folds, MP2 folds, ProfLupin 3-bets too much? , Button calls, BB calls

Turn(16 BB): 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, ProfLupin bets, Button calls, BB calls

River(19 BB): 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, ProfLupin bets, Button calls, BB calls

So what to you guys think? What do S&M say on the subject?
results after discussion.

Mike Gallo
01-19-2004, 12:31 PM
After you reraised his check raise on the flop and he didnt reraise you, you do not have to fear AQ. You do have to worry about KJ or Q9 or even K 10. Of course someone could have flopped a set and played it very passively. However I think you have the best hand from the betting patterns you have described.

Preflop, I like the raise. I like the reraise of the check raise.

I think you played the rest of the hand fine.

If somebody did have a better hand, oh well.

JTG51
01-19-2004, 02:32 PM
One of his tips is to not raise on the flop without the top two pair on a board where all cards are over a 9.

That's some pretty terrible advice. If he really said that, I'd stop reading that book.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-19-2004, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ProfLupin has JdTd and is MP3

UTG limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, ProfLupin raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls
Is this a limp rather than a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise if you think it gives you a realistic chance of buying the button. Otherwise, after three limpers I'll typically limp with JTs.

ProfLupin
01-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Big Blind had AK
Button had the killer KJ and he just called the whole way for a big pot. He probably thought one or both of us had straights. Pretty poorly played none-the-less by button.