PDA

View Full Version : tough river decision...and you have a set!

ProfLupin
01-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Another hand from this morning:

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
ProfLupin has 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is MP3

EP2 limps, MP1 limps, ProfLupin limps, Button folds, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(5 SB): 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, ProfLupin checks

Turn(5 BB): 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB checks, EP2 checks, MP1 checks, ProfLupin bets, SB calls, BB folds, EP2 calls, MP1 calls

River(9 BB): 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, EP2 bets, MP1 raises

Your Play...?

TheRake
01-19-2004, 12:11 PM
ProfLupin,

I might go ahead and bet the flop on this hand. It gets checked to you, so it appears you may have the best hand at this point. there is a flush draw and a couple gutshot possibles. Betting may get the gutshots and overcards to fold and even if they do call they may not be getting proper odds to do so.

Turn: made your miracle....pretty standard

River: I make a crying call here on the end and hope he is raising 2pr. 4 card str8 on the board looks pretty grim for our hero.

TheRake

ProfLupin
01-19-2004, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ProfLupin,
I might go ahead and bet the flop on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...I might think about it at higher stakes...but at the micros with 4th pair (and most likely 5th pair after the turn card shows) I'm in check/fold mode at this point. Isn't this a classic see the flop and fold if you don't make your set (or 4 straight) hand?

TheRake
01-19-2004, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this a classic see the flop and fold if you don't make your set (or 4 straight) hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I would say yes if there was a bet to you. I think you may as well take a shot at the pot. No one knows what you have and appearantly no one wants to bet. Why not take a shot? Plus like I said maybe It will fold overcards and gutshots and your hand will hold up.

I am not sure what others would do here, but I don't think it would be a big mistake either way.

TheRake

ProfLupin
01-19-2004, 10:40 PM
I decided to fold because I felt that there was very very little chance someone with less than a straight would raise here.

MP1 showed A2 for the low end straight and I saved 2 BB.

JohnShaft
01-19-2004, 10:44 PM
I'd have played every street the same.

I don't see value betting the flop with this many opponents. You likely will need to improve to win. There's some draws out there. I *might* bet if I was in last position. But then not even if I was against a number of check-call chasing types.

I think you should be folding on the River.
Why? Well would *you* raise on the River, when there's a 4-straight on board, if you didn't have it?
No, neither would I.

ProfLupin
01-19-2004, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think you should be folding on the River.
Why? Well would *you* raise on the River, when there's a 4-straight on board, if you didn't have it?
No, neither would I.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly why i folded /images/graemlins/smile.gif