PDA

View Full Version : Poker Tournament Strategies by Suzuki

Lost Wages
01-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Is it worth a read? I already have TPFAP. Thanks.

Lost Wages

bernie
01-19-2004, 11:31 AM
save your money. if you have TPFAP, it's much better. i regret buying this piece of crap. the only worthless book in the 2+2 library that ive read so far.

b

Al Mirpuri
01-20-2004, 11:20 AM
I too have difficulties with the Suzuki book. I own it.

It is stylistically poor. This is saying something when Two Plus Two are noted for their advice and not literary style.

However, for limit rebuy tournaments (whether progressive or constant stack) it might be worth purchasing. It does have advice for other tournament structures.

If it contains one good idea then it will justify its price in tournament money won. I think it does contain that one good idea.

FeliciaLee
01-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Since you already have TPFAP, I think you will get more out of Gambling Theory and Other Topics . The tourney section is a must read, IMHO.

The Suzuki book would be good for a beginning tourney player, who plays lots of low buy-in tourneys with rebuys and add-on's.

If you already have an advanced book, why go back to a beginner's book, yanno?

PS, your response to the acronym post had me ROFL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al Mirpuri
01-20-2004, 01:42 PM
I am not quite sure the Suzuki book is a beginner's book for tournaments.

Al Mirpuri
01-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Indeed, before the publication of TPFAP MM touted it at an 8 in his book reviews in GT&OT.

Mason Malmuth
01-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi Al:

Due to the publication of David's book, Poker Tournament Strategies should probably drop to a 6.

Best wishes,
Mason

Poker blog
01-20-2004, 03:28 PM
I think previously Mason had said on these forums that it would drop to a 7, post TPFAP. And now it drops to a 6. Ouch.

lostinthought
01-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Mason,
Then with the publication of TPFAP, and your new rating of "suzuki"'s book, is it necessary to keep the suzuki book in print? Because of the quality of all the other 2+2 books in print, I purchased the suzuki book thinking it would be along the same lines.. clearly it isn't. Maybe even a revision?

clovenhoof
01-20-2004, 10:26 PM
Did David's book reveal some previously undiscovered ideas that render advice in Suzuki's book wrong? If a book is an 8, shouldn't it still be an 8 even though a 10 comes along?

'hoof

Mason Malmuth
01-21-2004, 12:50 AM
Hi clovenhoof:

Yes. David went into some ideas which are generally not discussed anyplace elese.

When I do book reviews I always consider the book relative to what else is out there. When the Suzuki book was released it really only had to compare itself to McEvoy's book, and here it compares favorably. That book's rating should probably drop to a 5 now that TPFAP has been released.

By the way, Poker Tournament Strategies does a very good job of addressing how to play in small buy-in tournaments with funny rebuy and add-on structures.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth
01-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi jazzcat98:

We've decided to sell out the current printing, there are not that many copies left, and then this is an issue which we will address.

However, the book is very good when addressing how to play in some of the small buy-in tournaments with unusual rebuy and add-on structures.

Best wishes,
Mason

Al Mirpuri
01-21-2004, 09:36 AM
In TPFAP there is a reference to the Suzuki book directing the reader to it. This is for rebuy tournaments.

I still think there is some value in it, though not as much as before the publication of TPFAP.