PDA

View Full Version : ThePinkBunny for hire... (about propping and online poker)

ThePinkBunny
01-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Well not really. I'm too busy editing my movie, which you can watch a clip at PIZZA: The Movie (http://www.pizzathemovie.com) (tee-hee see I can spam too, although I prefer to call it shameless plugging)

As many people are familiar I took advantage of pokerroom's 777 offer until they discontinued it. If you're not familiar, pokerroom offered $250 to the player who played the most raked hands. $150 for second. $80 for third and so on. Winning the top prize required at least 11 hours of play on a day. Once their poker4 opened, this meant playing 5 games simultaneously. Before that it meant playing one shorthanded 5/10 and one tournament at the same time (in those days though it usually meant playing at least 15 hours a day).

Basically by playing this much, winning the top prize amounted to little more than a rake rebate if you were lucky.

I strongly believe that this type of promotion is way better than hiring props because it is a promotions so it will attract gamblors and bonuswhores alike, and is more effective.

Why?

Well, look what it did to me. I hate pokerroom's software. With the java version you'll sometimes have disappearing cards so you can't see a card on the flop or in your hand. In the downloadable version if you're connection goes bad, you can't get back to the table. Their support is pretty good, but would often take a long time to get back to you.

But I would play there about 14 hours a day for around four days a week for what amounted to a about full rake rebate (only when I got first).

Now I understand why they discontinued it. It was a helpful growth mechanism for the site, but once a site reaches a certain maturity, it is not necessary. Same reason why Party no longer hires props.

Now bugsyclub has something similar, but has made a couple mistakes. One, theirs takes place over the course of a month. This means people without a job have a huge advantage. A twenty-four hour period leaves it open to many players taking a shot on their day off. A month is also too long for bad players to compete. Too many of them will go bust too soon. with a twentyfour hour period, if a bad player is high on the ranking and you go bust with only a couple hours to go, he'd likely buy back in to try to stay in the running for the next four hours.

Having a competition like this pays for itself every day within a very short period of time. I mean it is like a guaranteed formala.

Let's say the site has absolutely no players. NONE!. And a bonus whore get wind of this promotion. Well, they're not dumb and they don't trust the site, yet. So he opens an account and deposit ten bucks (even though the site has a deposit bonus, he doesn't trust it enough to max it out). Well, so now he's in a pickle. He has no one on the site to play with, and he has to play at least one hand to get the bonus. So no problem, he gets on the phone with his buddy who is even a bonuswhorey. So he opens an account too.

They sit down together and play one hand. BonuswhoreA wins the hand with AK, and BonuswhoreB mutters something about 83off being a piece of trash and the cover of HPFAP's cover being misleading.

So now these two wait. Twentyfour hours rolls around and prizemoney is deposited in their accounts. They cheer with joy that they found something seemingly too good to be true. And for a moment their skeptical, and they each cashout everything but their ten bucks, and twenty minutes later it hits their neteller account.

Well, the pokersite lost money that day, and if the site doesn't advertise at all, they'll lose their shirts to these Bonuswhores. But once they get a few more people join and compete, pretty soon it becomes a competition, and players start having to play more and more hands to win the top prizes.

And games breed games. Nothing can be worse for a site just starting up for would be player to check it out and find out that it has no games.

Anyhow, its just my opinion. Flame away!

D