PDA

View Full Version : Peddling the nuts

09-04-2001, 05:53 PM
Playing a structure I was not really too familiar with: 3-3-6-12 holdem.

I limp on the button with Qs9s behind 4 limpers and the blinds come along as well.

The flop is As 6s 4d

All check to cutoff who bets, and I call. BB also calls and everyone else folds.

Turn is 2s, giving me the nuts.

BB (the only particularly aware opponent in the game) checks and cutoff bets. I call, and BB checkraises. Cutoff calls and I call.

River is 8s

BB checks, cutoff checks, I bet, BB folds, cutoff calls and obviously I win.

Thoughts on how I played this hand are welcomed as my friend thought I played it "strange". I will say I was influenced somewhat by the betting structure.

09-04-2001, 06:41 PM
Howdy,

Unless there was a typo in your post, you had the 2nd nuts. Why not re-raise the turn, once you are check-raised?

Other than that well-played.

09-04-2001, 06:44 PM
You have what's known as "fools nuts"; a term quite applicable to Omaha.

09-05-2001, 11:46 AM
King of Spades was the nuts. However that being said, I would have raised the BB because you stand a very good chance of having the best hand at this point and you would likely find out if you didn't.

I'm not sure what the BB would be check raising with on the turn if not a made flush or possibly a four flush he got to see the flop for free so he could have any two spades or possibly a straight.

You could have played the hand a little more agressively. Reraising the big blind would have given anyone with the King of spades reason to drop out of the hand or at least reason to think about it. Again you most likely have the best hand here and another bet would protect it or at least let you know where you stand. But that's just me.

09-05-2001, 12:41 PM
I am assuming you had the Ks...

It was a bad card for you on the river. Had you gotten a blank, you probably would have got 2 Super BB. I like the play.

Derrick

09-05-2001, 02:18 PM
The turn was the Ks, giving me the absolute nuts.

09-05-2001, 04:12 PM
"BB (the only particularly aware opponent in the game) checks and cutoff bets. I call, and BB checkraises. Cutoff calls and I call."

You've got the nut flush at this point but if the board pairs on the river, you might loose to a full house. I am not 100% sure I would raise the cutoff as I might wait to the river to raise him but when the BB check raises I would reraise in case either or both are not drawing dead against my nut flush. I'd be tempted to check raise here with Aces and Kings so I'd fear a check raise meant just that and I'd raise to make it that much more expensive for him to fill up. On top of that, you've got the best hand right now so getting more money in the pot is a good thing.

09-05-2001, 07:09 PM
You did not consider raising the flop because it was the cutoff who bet? (don't want to shut out others)

Any reason to suspect the blinds and others would fold the flop as they did? If not, a raise, trying for the "free card" might be a good play here? There are tables where people routinely play AX and will cold call your raise without a moment's hesitation...

09-06-2001, 02:39 AM
Not one of you commented on the adjustment David made to his basic strategy on the turn because of the betting structure?

09-06-2001, 11:09 AM
If you read my post somewhere on these forums called "My resolutions", you can see that I play my draws situationally now. In this case, I don't want to raise with my draw unless I know I am getting proper odds. When cutoff bets, if I raise, its certainly possible that everyone will fold to the cutoff and suddenly I'm on a draw heads up and that is not what I want.

Cutoff was also not a particularly rational player and might very well have called and then bet into me on the turn anyways, so I wasn't counting on a free card.