PDA

View Full Version : Another question about playing maniacs

09-04-2001, 05:47 PM
When I sit down at a table with 2 or 3 maniacs, I usually end up seeing a flop 2-3 times an hour, because I tighten up considerably. As a result, when I do play a hand I get considerable respect (too much respect), especially when I raise the flop, turn, etc. In other words those few who would typically call, or even bluff raise, fold very easily and I dont get paid off well for my premium hands. So my question is this: When I do choose to play my premium hands and flop big, should I slow play everybody, or should I begin betting and raising like I'm "supposed to" to make the draws pay? One time this guy flopped a set of 7's and bet/called me all the way to the river because he just "knew" I had something better; he was right of course, my pkt. A's had also flopped a set.

09-04-2001, 07:00 PM
One of the MAIN benefits of asserting yourself as a clear favorite is to add equity to the times you assert yourself when you are just a MARGINAL favorite: Your AQ raises are MORE profitable when you also raise with AA.

If you won't play the "marginal" stuff like AQ, then you have less reason to raise with AA. Therefore, playing only premium and routinely passively lets the other guys bet themselves silly against your brick wall, and is a very reasonable strategy. This doesn't mean you NEVER bet, but usually not. This can work so long as you stick tenaciously to "premium": if you have QQ and the flop is Kxx, don't call.

Eventually you will notice a real sense of discouagement in the opponents when you are in. When this happens, loosen up a little and play more assertively, which is quite profitable AFTER you establish youself as in-control of the table.

- Louie

09-04-2001, 08:23 PM
As Louie pointed out, if you just can't handle the swings of a wild game (or you don't have the bankroll to do so,) then you can slip into this sort of "brick wall" strategy. But as you get more comfortable with the excessive action, and as you get better at flop and post-flop play, you should loosen up and play hands further down on the ranking list. If players can read you for a set of Aces against their set of sevens, then you're playing too tight. I suggest loosening up a little (middle suited connectors are good) and start betting your made hands/good drawing hands hard. This way, you can set yourself up for subsequent pot steals if they are THAT afraid of you.

Relying on Sklansky's Fundamental Theory of Poker..."when a player plays the same way as he would if he knew what cards you have, he gains and you lose. When a player plays differently from the way he would if he knew what cards you have, you gain and he loses." If the player with the set of 7's knew you had a set of Aces, he should have folded. He didn't, and you gained. But are you glad he didn't play back at you? Of course not. But if you'll only play/raise with AA or KK, it's too easy to put you on a hand...and that will bring your opponent's play closer to correct play. That's not what you want.

You can really do some numbers on these loose-aggressive players by playing well on the flop. If your hand is well disguised (double-gutshot straight draws are GREAT for this, but most reasonable draws will do) then you can switch gears and start betting like you turned the nuts. They may just fold, depending on the cirucumstances. When your draw card hits, players won't believe you have it and may start bluffing into you. Then you whack'em over the head. If they've been calling or playing back at you this far, you'll take down a huge pot.

Switching gears consciously is a powerful tool at the poker table, assuming your opponents are even paying attention. Don't take it too far...two "gears" will do just fine at the lower limits. I suggest what Louie suggested...start off in "brick wall" strategy...then when you feel you're getting too much respect, switch gears and get more aggressive. You can switch back and forth at your leisure (usually when they're catching on to your switch, reverse it.)

09-05-2001, 07:11 PM
Maniacs who are observant too? You must have discovered a new species.