PDA

View Full Version : National Rifle Association, shame on you!

Ed I
01-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Elk hunting in Montana is going to hell. Wolves are eating all our elk. Sportsmen are now facing up to the "idiocy of introducing an indiscriminate killer among populations of carefully managed elk,deer,mountain sheep,moose and livestock" All this this according to the latest edition of the influential"American Hunter," a national magazine published by the National Rifle Association.

The lengthy article goes into great detail,quoting "experts" about the fact that "the ecosystem north of Yellowstone National Park has been for all practical purposes, sterilized of wildlife" and lamenting that the "severe decline" of elk populations. Government biologists won't admit the extent of the problem. The above came from a Missoulian editorial. I say horseh*it. Montana hunters enjoyed one of their best seasons in decades. The elk populations remain so large that the state is proposing even more liberal hunting opportunities for next fall. Tentative regulations for 04 call for increasing the limit to 2 elk in some areas. FWP is also proposing extended and additional seasons for either sex hunting. In nearly 2 of every 3 hunting districts, elk populations exceed management goals. NRA shame on you.

MMMMMM
01-18-2004, 11:35 PM
What would be the NRA's motivation?

Ed I
01-19-2004, 12:54 AM
I hope someone familiar with the NRA can answer that.

Here in Mt. anti wolf rhetoric subsided right after the hunt ended and the numbers were published, at least that was my perception. I know I had fun teasing the guys who told me the wolf ate the most of the game.

HDPM
01-19-2004, 02:28 AM
The NRA motivation is money. They are a wishy washy sell out group that is into spin, not content. The will sell out gun rights at every turn if it will help lobbying or fundraising. The monthly mags are obviously designed to motivate their base to give money. I don't get the hunting mag, I get the gun rights/self defense oriented one. It has a lot of garbage designed to scare people and raise money. Occasionally there is some OK content. Usually mine goes in the trash. For years, the NRA sold out gun rights thinking they should just protect yahoos who liked killing animals. Now the American Hunter mag goes to the group that the NRA used to cater to. So they will slant every article to get them believing in some left wing conspiracy and see if they will send in $20 more.

Yeah, I am still an NRA member, but I may drop it and just stick to gun rights groups that actually believe in gun rights. I kind of thought it was good to support multiple groups on the theory that the NRA would always be the compromise group. Since they are rich and somewhat effective, maybe some rights would get protected. But appeasement of the gun grabbers won't work long term. And the NRA appeases. That shows through in every other thing they do.

Boris
01-19-2004, 02:07 PM
I agree with you on this on Ed. I never understood the virulent anti-wolf sentiment from all the non-cattle ranchers.

I was lucky enough to see a wolf one day in the Absoroka(sp?)-Beartooth wilderness. magnificent creature.

Ed I
01-19-2004, 07:44 PM
I hope to see a wolf.

There was a interesting series in the Missoulian Sun. Mon. about monied folks and gated subdivisions. You might find the segments about Whitefish interesting.Public access is not what it once was. www.missoulian.com. (http://www.missoulian.com.)