PDA

View Full Version : Are there any studies into the honesty of online poker?

Redhot_man
01-18-2004, 09:57 PM
I understand that the buttom line rests on whether or not you are making money. Some might argue that as long as you are satisifed with your return, it shouldnt even be relevant wheather or not the game is completely fair.
What I am wondering is if anyone has taken their PT database and conducted a study to see if all the nunbers work out correctly?
Again, I dont want to come of as some fish who thinks he got cheated after seeing 55% of the flops, we all must admit
that these are businesses trying to make money.

Webster
01-18-2004, 10:04 PM
A couple of years ago a guy compiled about 200,000 hands and the pre-flops were as they should be.

The RNGs that are out (software) are very very good and if a person thinks about it = why would a place cheat, they are making a TON of money.

As for hacking - I'm sure it's been tried as it's been tried at any bank in the world or any other financial institution. Neteller has probebly had hackers trying to get in.

That's the risk we all take. Still, I feel safer online then at a B&M place.

Redhot_man
01-18-2004, 10:08 PM
i am definitely willing to take the risks, and im happy with my hourly rate, so its win-win. Its just someitmes you are playing, and can almsot feel something is a little bit off, maybe only 10% off, but still off.

tiltboy
01-18-2004, 10:11 PM
I believe Tony H., who makes a product similar to PokerTracker called PokerStat, did such a study of a large number of hands at Paradise and his results were almost exactly what was predicted. I believe he looked at the distribution of starting cards.

Jim Easton
01-18-2004, 10:19 PM
This isn't a study, just some raw data.

Party flop distribution thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=475255&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc=1)

Paul2432
01-18-2004, 11:21 PM
You may find this thread from RGP of interest.

http://tinyurl.com/yqxl8

Paul

dandy_don
01-19-2004, 12:23 AM
I don't know if it's worth the virtual paper it's written on, but Poker Stars has the following with a link to the report on their website:

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars shuffle verified by Cigital and BMM International

In May 2003, PokerStars submitted extensive information about the PokerStars random number generator (RNG) to two independent organizations. We asked these two trusted resources to perform an in-depth analysis of the randomness of the output of the RNG, and its implementation in the shuffling of the cards on PokerStars.

Both independent companies were given full access to the source code and confirmed the randomness and security of our shuffle. Click here for more details.

[/ QUOTE ]