PDA

View Full Version : 88 Played the way it should be I hope........

daveymck
01-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Gone through my first 1,000 hands at 2/4 its going well so far after a nervous start currently running about 3bb's an hour, have some areas to work on already mainly around heads up play. Waiting for the come back down to earth losing session and not getting carried away.

Normall I post hands I think I played wrong but this is one I think I got spot on, utilizing everything I have learned on these forums, before finding here I probably would have wimped out of this and check called or even folded with all the raising.

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is UTG

Hero limps, EP2 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, CO limps, Button raises, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls, EP2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls

Flop(15 SB): 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, Hero checks, EP2 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button bets, SB calls, Hero raises, EP2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls

Turn(13 1/2 BB): 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, Hero bets, EP2 calls, MP2 raises, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, EP2 calls, MP2 bets(all-in), CO calls, Hero calls, EP2 calls

River(26 1/2 BB): 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero bets, EP2 calls, CO folds

Table as a whole loose moderate agression pre flop agression post flop generally driven by MP2 in this hand.
Main read is MP2 he is loose and agressive if he gets a piece of the flop.

Preflop pretty standard, after the flop looked for the check raise felt there was a good chance of an ace out there so thought there would be a caller.

Turn 9 gives what would have been a runner runner stright or runner runner flush, bet into it MP2's raise at that point I though meant he had picked up 2 pair A9 or 89 with a small chance of him having 99 but that was outside chance so I reraised thinking I was ahead, the other two came along as well my thinking was they had TPTK and maybe a draw 99 worried me but they were following not leading so supected not. This is probably where in the past I would have either folded or pure called fearing the worst.

River helped noone and the lack of anyone coming back at me suggested my reads were right.

Comments?

results below in white

<font color="white">EP had AJo
MP had 74 hearts didnt understand all his agression but he was going all in
co folded and didnt come through on poker tracker
so mhig and I take down a $111 pot my biggest so far /images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font>

JohnShaft
01-18-2004, 07:54 PM
At a quick glance I think I would have come out betting on the flop.

Your raise, as the bet is expected to come from the Button, turned into a "limiting the field" raise. The flop is totally innocuos, you don't want to drive people out, you want to keep them in for multiple bets ideally.

I'd bet the flop, and reraise anyone elses reraise.
I just don't like the "I've flopped a set, I MUST checkraise attitude." Why? Why is it better than bet-3bet? It usually isn't in my opinion.

Your hand is very well disguised. If the Button has raised with an Ace (it's therefore a big Ace) he'll almost certainly raise you, and you can 3-bet. If he's got AK he may even cap. You'll likely catch some others in the middle. If any others have an Ace they likely aren't folding and may even raise you themselves.

Yeah, given your position relative to the expected bet, the innocuos flop, the large pot, I definitely bet.

MP2 could have 67 for the Turned straight, but as he's just going allin he could well have very little, and very likely has less than you. Plus after the point he's allin you're just trying to get money off everyone else.

GuyOnTilt
01-18-2004, 07:57 PM
You misplayed the flop. Check-raising to limit the field is not what you want to go for here. Bet it out.

GoT

bunky9590
01-18-2004, 08:13 PM
gotta lead a that flop. I hate the check raise there. You think the pot was big? Lead at that flop and you'll see a big pot!

daveymck
01-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Surely at this point I am looking to limit the field as well as getting money into the pot, at this point I feel I am ahead unless the button has AA so by making it two bets to go I am hopefully going to push out the hands that can catch me up or at the least I am making them pay two bets rather than putting in one extra bet if the button raised my bet.

Ok I think am working this out I think as I type had he raised they still would have had to call two bets cos I could have reraised in essence I would have got three bets out of them.

Does this not limit the action on the turn as the chances are after all the action on the flop they will call it down?

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-18-2004, 09:00 PM
The only thing that beats you on this flop is AA, and there are basically *no* draws to worry about. If you're looking to do any slowplaying, bet out on the flop, and then if MP2 raises, smoothcall and checkraise the turn, when it's big bets instead of small.