PDA

View Full Version : Nervousness and Adrenaline

Kaufmania
01-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Hey guys, I am a very nervous and anxiety-ridden person but I do consider myself to be a good poker player. Whenever I have a hand, don't have a hand, bluff, semi-bluff, raise, etc I always GET REALLY nervous, no matter what (EVEN IF I HAVE THE NUTS). It's like this social anxiety extending into my poker realm. I also feel like it's ruining my play. For example, If someone has makes a bet and I bluff check-raise my voice always gets waivery and weak when I say "I raise you x" so they must know that I'm bluffing. I guess this is not so much poker as it is psychology so if anybody has any tips for calming themselves in somewhat tense situations if would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Al Schoonmaker
01-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Since I am not a clinical psychologist, I won't suggest ways to deal with your nervousness and anxiety. I must, however, say that they harm much more important areas of your life than poker. I urge you to consult a competent professional.

The poker problem is easy to solve: Don't say anything. Always bet with a number of chips that clearly communicates that you are betting, calling, or raising. If, for example, it would cost $6 to call and $12 to raise, don't use a $25 chip. Put out exactly $12 in chips. The message is even clearer if you raise by putting out two piles of chips in the same movement (so it's not a string bet).

If you're playing no limit, make sure you say a number if, but only if, it is necessary. Don't say, "I raise you x."
Say, "Raise X." The fewer words you speak, the less information you can give away.

One last point. It is a sign of your anxiety that you think people can correctly infer from your voice that you're bluffing. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people can't make such inferences. A few people can, but most people don't even notice how you say things. Don't give people credit for more intelligence and perceptiveness than they really have.

Regards,

Al

JayKon
01-20-2004, 11:17 PM
There is a calming excerise, from zen (I think). It's called "The peaceful breath".

Breath in to the count of 7.
Breath out to the count of 7.

It takes a bit to get used to, but it can really help.

Al_Capone_Junior
01-21-2004, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is a sign of your anxiety that you think people can correctly infer from your voice that you're bluffing. In fact, the overwhelming majority of people can't make such inferences. A few people can, but most people don't even notice how you say things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I would doubt that even most 10-20 tables have an average of 2 persons per table that notice such things, let alone interpret them correctly with any regularity. It's an informed guess on my part of course, I have no stats to back it up. But my experience is that unless you're in a REALLY tough game, having intense worries about giving away "tells" due to your anxiety is unwarranted. If you ARE in a game where you are at a huge disadvantage because of your anxiety, you should REALLY be looking for an easier game as your first priority.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
01-21-2004, 12:17 AM
You need to have a routine at the table. This will assist you in two things: A) masking any info you might give off to observant players, and more importantly, B) building your own confidence that you aren't giving off tells due to your nervousness.

Always bet according to the suggestion by Dr. Al.

Always do the same basic things during a hand whether that be a monster, a pure bluff, a simple check-fold, whatever. I shuffle chips, always in the same manner no matter what I have. You will find what works for you.

Sometimes hesitate on easy decisions as well as the tough ones. Don't give away info by always getting nervous only when you've got a big hand, or are bluffing. Sometimes you need to appear to have the same uncertainties even when there is no doubt what you should do.

These things assume there ARE observant players at your table. If the table is full of drunken tourists, all this may be a total waste of energy. These suggestions really only help you play better against TOUGH opponents, whom you should generally be avoiding anyway.

I have found that people tend to actually BE nervous much more often when they have a big hand than when they are bluffing, at least the obvious outward nervous signs. Bluffers sometimes are so still you could pluck a hair from their head and they wouldn't even notice. It depends on the person, but nervousness doesn't always imply the same thing with everyone.

al