PDA

View Full Version : Odd sports stat - Tony Dungy

CrackerZack
01-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Tony Dungy has never challenged a play. Shocking. There must be something wrong with him. This could be shown by the catch by Brandon Stokely in the 4th of this game which he was hit and lost the ball after hitting the ground. He had the ball, turned, saw the defender and braced for a hit. A complete "football move" as the rule book states, yet no challenge. In the AFC title game!!!! Unreal.

Utah
01-18-2004, 08:52 PM
I couldn't believe he didn't challenge that play. Pure stupidity.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-19-2004, 08:55 AM
That one had me scratching my head, too. And, for as physical as that game was, am I the only one surprised that there were no holding calls either on the line or in the secondary?

Sure looked to me like there was a lot of contact downfield by both defenses.

Victor
01-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Has anyone heard why he has never challenged a play? This seems ludicrous to me. The only explanation I can think of is that he is so opposed to replay that he refuses to use it....like a stick to his morals type thing.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-19-2004, 06:09 PM
If that's the case he should be fired immediately and *never* given another head coaching job. His job is to give his team every possible chance to win. If he refuses to do that, he should be out.

Dynasty
01-19-2004, 06:09 PM
I've read he doesn't challenge any plays on principal because he's opposed to the replay rule.

If you look at individual plays, you can obviously point out missed opportunities. However, less than half of challenges get overturned on the replay. That costs the team a timeout. There's a valid arguement that an average cost of .5+ timeouts per challenge is too high a price.

sam h
01-19-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a valid arguement that an average cost of .5+ timeouts per challenge is too high a price.

[/ QUOTE ]

But its neither a random outcome nor a stable payoff. Guys upstairs can look at replays and tell the coaches whether they have a solid case. And some reversals are obviously more important than others. So I don't think theres any point in looking at the issue other than on a situation-by-situation basis.

Dynasty
01-19-2004, 11:08 PM
The guys upstairs are looking at the replays every time and they are still overturning less than half of the challenges.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with it but looking at the the cost of a challenge as about half a timeout is valid. It's the same as knowing you'll make a 2-point conversion about 33%(?) of the time and making your decision accordingly.

Easy E
01-22-2004, 01:45 PM