PDA

View Full Version : QQ against mr. Predictable

09-03-2001, 02:19 PM
In my local 4/8 game I pick up QQ in the cutoff seat and am the first one in the pot with a raise.

I get called by the button, SB and BB.

The flop comes up 5 3 2 rainbow.

SB checks, BB bets out (this player is new to me and we have only been playing 2 hours, but has played 4 hands that I have seen in a very straight foward manner (ie. betting to protect good hands, proper bets for value but not tricky as far as I can see) .

I raise, button and SB fold. BB re-raises.

After thinking a few seconds, I muck my hand and BB shows me one of his cards (4).

Any thoughts on how I played this would be appreciated.

P.S. A few days later playing the same guy I Hit 2 pair (free play in BB with 6 4) with a similar board (6 4 3) bet the flop, he raised and I re-raised and he mucked. At this point he stated to his friend that he thought I was playing a pair and the straight draw.

09-03-2001, 03:57 PM
[]Routinely folding in this spot is terrible. At least call figuring to fold the turn, since this drastically reduces the odds the opponent is getting for his semi-bluff.

[] What hand could he possibly have that isn't getting the right odds NOT to chase a pair and a straight draw?

- Louie

09-03-2001, 07:33 PM
I think you gave the BB too much credit here. The odds are good he could have A5, or A3 or even a smaller overpair (e.g 88 or 99). Also, since you are now heads up with the BB, you can call the raise and see what he does on the turn. If he checks, bet. If he bets, call it down.