PDA

View Full Version : Turn question

09-03-2001, 01:34 PM
I am playing 3-6 with a usual-ish 3-6 bunch.

I am in the BB with Ks7s. 4 people limp and I check along.

Flop: 9-8-5 all spades.

I bet out. UTG raises. A mid position cold calls. All fold to me, and I reraise. UTG caps. Mid position cold calls again.

Turn: 6c

I bet out. UTG raises again. Mid position cold calls AGAIN.

What to do here?

09-03-2001, 01:36 PM
I gave a second to think. I figured cold caller for the dry ace of spades and UTG for a lesser made hand, perhaps Q-high spades or a flopped straight.

So, having made my read, I ignored it and called rather than raising. The river was another spade and mid position took it with the dry ace. (Strangely enough, UTG who I had previously had some respect for, showed 6s6d).

Did I play like a wimp?

09-03-2001, 01:57 PM
Based on the information given, i would read the mid position player for the ace of spades (I think he would have raised with other hands that particluar flop would have hit), playing with the hope for a 4th spade.

The UTG player could have a number of hands I.E. flopped straight, set, two pair, smaller flush (remember this is 3/6 and putting too many bets on non nut hands is the norm). I would not automatically put him on As Xs.

Considering the way I read I would have re-raised on the turn to charge what I think are two drawing hands (or one drawing hand and one lesser made hand), and bet out on the river as long as the board doesnt pair, or no spade falls.

Im going to check the result now to see how my read was.

Good Luck Brad

09-03-2001, 02:13 PM
Okay, since you have the 7s, you have the possible straight flush blocked (and as a one-card redraw for yourself.) This makes things a little easier, since the mid-position cold caller could have been on that slowplay. I think he has the As, but not necessarily As-xs (since you have two spades yourself, the odds of his also having two spades goes down a bit.) UTG has another strong hand and is protecting it against a single spade (maybe he has 76 for a flopped straight, a set, or he could have a lesser flush.)

As far as what to do on the turn, I would just call the raise and get to the showdown as cheaply as possible. When the river shows up, you can try to figure out what's going on when you check to the UTG player. If the river's not a spade, and the cold caller drops off, you've probably got it won and can proceed accordingly. If the river is a spade, and the caller suddenly bets/raises, you can use your judgement of his play to decide what to do (I'd probably call and hope the UTG idiot doesn't raise.) If the river pairs the board, then you can check and see who likes it. Of course, the miracle card is the 6s, giving you the straight flush and a huge pot (if the caller has the As, he'll pay you all the way.)

Personally, I hate being in this situation. The reason I suggest getting to the showdown as cheaply as possible is b/c one of the players HAS to have the As (and could have the flush already.) You couldn't pay the As player to fold until the river in this situation, and you know when your six-card flush is no good...their eyes will light up like a Christmas tree.

'kay, gonna check the results....

09-03-2001, 02:16 PM
David -

It was pretty obvious that you were up against the As...in this case, I would have done (and have done) exactly what you did. The As isn't going anywhere, no matter how much money you charge him.

09-03-2001, 03:10 PM
Thats the problem I fear; I should charge him the 3 or 4 bets I can get on the turn if all he has is the As, since every new dollar he puts in is not a good dollar (getting 2-1 on every new dollar versus his 6-1 shot of hitting a flush on the river).

09-04-2001, 08:28 PM
which of these two players is insane?

my guess is that middle is calling with the A, pop it again because he wont put in any money when he misses the flush.

youve got the str8 flush blocked... maybe UTG is jamming with TsJs...

or middle has a set and UTG has Axs