PDA

View Full Version : Call-Call-Call with top pair

ElSapo
01-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Party 1/2, and the game is tight-passive. I have one read for the table, and that's it -- tight pre-flop, tight-passive post-flop. More than once everyone folds to my BB, lots of pots without a showdown, and I've been stealing blinds at a rapid pace.

I open-raise with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif from EP. Only the BB calls.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and the BB bets.
I call, thinking to raise the turn.

Turn is a 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and he bets again.

Suddenly I don't like my plan to raise. This is the most agression in 150 hands that anyone has shown to me after I raised pre-flop.

I call.

River blanks, he bets, I call.

ProfLupin
01-18-2004, 02:49 PM
I think it's ok to reevaluate here and call down. Here's my thinking: Say you are behind...If you raise him and he reraises you back, you can fold and you lose the same ammount by calling down. If he calls your raise and calls you down on the river, you lose an extra BB.
If you are ahead...Your turn raise might make him fold which costs you one BB. If he has a high /images/graemlins/diamond.gif he might even reraise you as a semi-bluff and you have to think hard about folding even though you currently hold the best hand.
There are even other uglier senarios like if he has the flush and calls your raise and check-raises the river.

This looks like an ideal situation to call down given the game circumstances you listed. A raise is likely to only win you one extra bet if you have the best hand and if you don't you could be giving away a lot more than that.

chesspain
01-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Since you chose not to raise on the flop, I think that calling down is fine. If he is not on diamonds then he undoubtedly has an ace, and he could easily be betting a weaker ace than yours, since to him your preflop raise could easily mean KK, QQ, JJ, etc.

ElSapo
01-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Two pair or a set was my fear, but actually he'd flopped a straight with 45s.

siccjay
01-19-2004, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two pair or a set was my fear, but actually he'd flopped a straight with 45s.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like my luck....some goon calls a raise with 45 and flops a straight.