PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to play AQ!!

theBruiser500
01-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey guys, I pick up AQ at a $100 PP table, I've just resolved to play a very solid game of poker. Anyway, it's four handed, I'm in the BB, the two people behind me limp in and the SB calls. My first question is, does playing a solid game mean I can limp in with AQ AJ A10, AK in a shorthnaded game, and just raise with big pocket pairs? Or do I have to raise with these high aces short handed?

The flop comes AsKs9d, we all have the same stack sizes, just sat down at the table, no read on any of them, I don't have spades. SB checks, I bet out 8, both people behind me call, SB folds. Turn is a Jh, what's my play?

danny

crockpot
01-18-2004, 04:55 PM
you don't have to raise with AQ shorthanded, but you do have to remember that your opponents will be playing worse hands than usual. so i would raise with the intention of picking up the pot there, but feeling confident i had the best hand if not.

on the flop, the J wouldn't slow me down from betting, although i would fold if raised by a non-tricky player.

1800GAMBLER
01-19-2004, 08:58 PM
That J would stop me from betting in a tight game due to the board. You are only beating AT and a flush draw. Loose game where they could have a range of hands i'd charge the draws. Probably checking most river cards.

theBruiser500
01-20-2004, 10:22 AM
In the game, I checked the turn, the person in LP bet $6 both of us called. Then the river came rag, it was checked to him, he bet $6 again I called and the other guy folded. Guess I should have bet the turn.

danny