PDA

View Full Version : How to play Party 2/4 and 3/6

Mr_robot
01-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Right now, I am playing Party 1/2. I am mostly using strategy from the `Loose Games` section in Slansky and Malmuths advanced book. It seems to be working pretty well. I would like to move up soon to 2\4 and 3\6. Should I still apply these same ideas from the `loose games` section? Or should I go at it as a normal game and do more pre-flop raising and more bluffing, semi-bluffing etc.?

BigEndian
01-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Same game, 10% more aggression, 10% less limpers. Still more than enough pay-off. The single most important part about making the jump is to prepare yourself psychologically. A big part of this is to make sure you have enough $ to make the jump.

- Jim

Mr_robot
01-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks Jim, what kind of bankroll do you need for 2/4 and 3/6?

Robot

daveymck
01-18-2004, 12:02 PM
I would agree, the pyscology is the big thing, if you lose a couple of hands you see a big loss in money and it can worry you, I have played about 800 hands now and this has settled down I have seen there are a lot of poor players at this level still and I have at this stage come out around 2bbs and hour although there is big swings down $60 in and early session up $135 in a session on Friday night. With the low amount of hands I have played a session either away will have a big effect on that.

I owuld suggest having a 300 bb bankroll so you are not worried about a few losses.

One other thing I have found at 2/4 is you get heads up a lot more than the lower levels so if you are weak in that area its a bit to maybe swot up on. Table selection is another area a bit more key than at .50/1 level.

If you multi table at the moment it might also be worth focusing on one at a time till you get comfortable at the level.

slogger
01-18-2004, 12:21 PM
As davey mentioned, 300 BB is considered the "safest" bankroll for most games. 2/4 ($1,200); 3/6 ($1,800).

The important factor there, as both responders mentioned above, is that you feel comfortable with your bankroll, even after a couple of losing sessions. I believe that as long as you are disciplined and willing to set an amount at which you will immediately drop back down to 1/2 if you are losing at the 2/4 level, then 200-250 BB is not an unreasonably small bankroll.

But again, pschology is very important here, and if you are uncertain about it, I would make a 300 BB roll. Also, even though I find the 3/6 Party games very beatable, I would definitely play 2/4 for a while first, if I were you. Nothing builds confidence like moving up one level at time and only doing so when you are beating you current level consistently.

Personally, I've set a goal of moving up from 3/6 to 5/10 this winter, but after 3 1/2 weeks of amazing success (made almost 300 more BB playing about 20 hours a week), I've plateau'd and now I'm trying to fine tune my game before I even think about making the move.

Best of luck to you!

Warior
01-18-2004, 12:26 PM
I would go in with $1,000, and $1,500 respectively. Thisa way you never have to really worry about swings and can continue to build your bankroll to the next level.

Mikey
01-18-2004, 01:24 PM
the best thing to do is to develop a winning strategy that works where you can win consistently over an extended period of time, when you can do this, you can apply that winning strategy to as high as a 10-20 game.

Remember most players like to move up real fast because they are either on a good run or think that they are better than they are.... if you are just starting out, there is no shame is staying at the lower limits even as low as $1-$2.

When you can win at those limits consistenly over a certain time period then it is safe to move up.

Best of luck to you.

winky51
01-18-2004, 02:05 PM
I have been playing for 1 month total 31 and have gained about $300. I notice at .5/1 and 1/2 more lose bad players that stay in too long. 2/4 is more aggressive but less players in the pot and many showdowns head-to-head. I did really well at the lower tables so I moved up to 2/4.

It is becoming a bit difficult and usually I will start the day down about $50. But after reading players and observation of who is who, this also means IDing the good players, I come out ahead. I do notice that with aggressive play at the right time you can bluff and players will fold. Has to be the right situation too. I would say 75% of my bluffs work. But it is rare and the flop has to come just right.

Mr_robot
01-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks Mikey

After how many sessions do you think it is safe to move up to the next level? I guess I am looking forwarrd to moving up because the higher stakes are more fun

Mr_robot
01-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the advice. What book would you recommend in order to beat party 2/4 and 3/6? I have allready read Slansky and Malmuth's advanced book. And I am thinking about getting Slansky's Theory of Poker.

Mr_robot
01-18-2004, 10:27 PM
I just read Slansky and Malmuth's section on loose games and it says to raise less pre-flop. The arguments seem really convincing. I'm just wondering how much I should just limp in without rasing with my good hands. I was thinking of limping in almost with everyhand and perhaps raise about %50 with AA, KK and high suited connectors. Any thoughts?

bigjay
01-18-2004, 11:54 PM
I tend to agree with the previous post about limping in more. Without a "made" hand ie big pocket pair, you don't accomplish what you want. On Party 2/4, you're not going to scare a lot of people off so your play on the flop is really the more important part of your game. Correct (by the book) raising ends up biting you in the azz because some idiot comes in on 10-7 and flops two pair.

Since I started noticing this, I now tend to limp more in EP and MP depending on the table. LP I'll raise with one or two limpers since the field is already fairly limited. It's improved my success so far.

danish69
01-19-2004, 03:53 AM
I would say you should play your cards the way they are, which means donīt just limp. Instead you should consider the raises as value bets, and not to scare people out of the pot. You have the best of it going into the pot, and therefore you will in the long run have the best of it, when the pot is done.
So in my way, donīt play your cards to weak, when you have good cards.

Mikey
01-19-2004, 01:04 PM
well I'll be honest with you.......I have been playing Poker now for about 3 years or so, I have no shame playing 3-6 HE on the internet, when I know I can play 10-20, 15-30 I still don't and its not a bankroll problem. I feel that I need much more experience to move up.

I have to feel totally totally comfortable to move up, and even though I have played many many hours, I still max out at 10-20, even though I know I can play higher and some of my friends want me to.

A typical misconception of pokerplayers is that they need to move up and play higher because they are infatuated with the money aspect of it. Fortunatley for me I have a love for the game, and I can play as low as $.50-$1.00.

Learn the game, get your experience and then move up.

Even when you think you know it. There is still so much more to learn.

Last year I was a very good poker player. Today I am so much better than I ever was a year ago.

Be content to play the lower limits, that is where you will gain experience, and experience is the most important thing in this game.

If I were you, I would spend about a good 3 years playing low limits before you move up into the bigger games, but sometimes it could take shorter, and sometimes it could take longer.