PDA

View Full Version : 3-6: UTG uphill against overcard and flush

09-02-2001, 01:24 PM
Here's a hand I just played with an (I thought) pretty tough turn decision that I'd like some help with.

I raise UTG with red JJ, and get called by three loose, poor players: Early Middle, the Button, and the small blind.

The flop comes Kd 6c 2d. I bet out (anyone for check-raising here?) And get 3 callers.

The turn is the 8d. What to do now? These cats could have _anything_. I think my choices are bet and fold to a raise, check call, and check-fold, and I hate all three.

Some thoughts:

* Normally the fact that I have the 3rd nut flush draw wouldn't be worth the time it takes to discount it, but not here.

* Normally I feel I have to bet out, to prevent being pushed off the best hand by a bet and raise by the opponents, but not here. Noramlly I can fold without a care if I'm raised here multiway; if someone want to raise a protected pot with a flush draw here, bless 'em, I'll fight back when I got more ammo. But here I gotta call a raise, possibly drawing dead.

* Becasue thes guys are so loose, giving a free card is a real concern. A,Q, hitting thier kicker to a 2,6,8...

* The any-two-cards-odds of a K being out is about 1-(41/44)^6 = 34%. Adjusting it upwards because they fold preflop to a raise sometimes, and they called the flop bet, gets me to a 66% gut feeling. The flop has 6.5 BB's in it, and with my half live diamond draw, I've got some serious equity.

I decided to check, and call one bet but not two. It was checked around to button who bet, all call.

The river was Th: : [ 6c 2d Kd 8d Th ]

Now what. I did what I always do when baffled. Check and call. Does anyone fold to the button's river bet? Remember, I've warned you umpteen times how loose he is...

Please help me out, I still can't find a turn decision I like. That's why I'm thinking about a check raise on the flop... maybe then the hand gets easier to play.

Thanks for your time,

zooey

09-02-2001, 01:33 PM
It was checked around on river and I won.

Opponents held, on [ 6c 2d Kd 8d Th ] ( I warned you):

sb: As 2c EM: Ac 8s but: 8c 5c

zooey

09-03-2001, 02:54 AM
Let me take issue with one point: If you are up against opponents who are so loose they will call any hand that can make 2nd pair or better, then giving "free" cards is NOT a consern: your main consern is getting value.

Yes, don't fold for the reason's you gave.

Yes, check-raising loose assertive types when you have a vulnerable pair is a top strategy. A good but uncommon betting pattern is to bet the flop and check-raise the turn, something that you should have done in THIS spot: when middle does NOT bet and SB just calls button's bet, the theoretical value of your hand has gone up quite a bit compared to when you checked the turn; that is the number of prospective opponents that have you beat went from 3 to 1.

Yes, paranoid confusion usually means check-and-call, but lets not let that feeling prevent you from looking for the right play. When you get that sinking feeling, imagine Johnny Moss whispering "raise" in your ear; now try to figure out why he said that. If you can't think of one go ahead and check-and-call. If you CAN think of one, well now you can evaluate it with a clearer head.

- Louie

09-03-2001, 05:18 PM
Gotta give you credit, Louie, you've got a great way of explaining things.

I can't believe I didn't even concieve of check raising the turn. I think that's because it really didn't exist as an option until the perfect scario of the button betting and the sb just calling, and I just wasn't thinking quick enough on the draw.

It makes all sorts of great things happen:

*It hits those one card diamond draws hard, maybe even dropping the Q.

*It has a small but real chance of getting a weak K into the muck, either now or on the river.

*And best of all, I don't sheepishly feel like a tight-weak stick in the mud as the dealer shuffles for the next hand.

Thanks for the lesson,

zooey

09-03-2001, 05:25 PM
.... Nelly. There are LOTS of situations that you are SUPPOSED to play like a "sheep stuck in the mud". That is a BAD reason to raise.

09-03-2001, 06:37 PM
x