PDA

View Full Version : The mind of the low limit SNG player

M2d
01-18-2004, 03:57 AM
I just started playing these (30, 50 sngs), so maybe this is the right way to play. also, I don't have much nl experience, so maybe, again, this is correct.

What is up with people going all in when faced with pressure? I'm not talking about late tourney/short stack situations. I'm talking about opening with a normal size raise with a hand like AJ, TT, etc., getting reraised, then deciding to shove it all in?

I don't three bet lightly in these, since I've learned that I will be called (often cold called behind). Here are two examples of what I'm talking about:

I'm on the button with AA. Blinds at 10/15 (just started). Both stacks around the 800 level(I actually have him outchipped by ten dollars). Mid postion player opens for a medium sized raise (60). one caller to me, and I make it 250 to go. folded to the opener who immediately shoves it in with...TT. Did he think that I three bet him with a lesser hand? If I did three bet with less, did he think that the coinflip was worth shoving it in?

example two, same sort of situation opener raises a moderate ammount. I make it about 250 to go with KK. he shoves it in with AJoff. WTF??? This one is even more baffling. He moves it in with a weak A?

Anyway, is this the kind of mindless play that is normal?
Am I correct in continuing to make moderate three bets, or should I start the move in dance myself. The way I figure it, I'm such a big fave over a single raising hand, I want to give them as much rope as they need to hang themselves. However, the penalty for letting them catch up in termination, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Lori
01-18-2004, 04:02 AM
Anyway, is this the kind of mindless play that is normal?

No, TT and AJ are stronger than the normal mindless plays.

Lori

M2d
01-18-2004, 04:07 AM
had a guy pull the same crap on me with the wonderful A6off. I had AA. This after he saw me do the same thing with KK a few hands earlier.

HajiShirazu
01-18-2004, 04:25 AM
I was limp-reraised all in by 44 when I had AA a few days ago.
Crazy.

crockpot
01-18-2004, 04:53 AM
yes, this is normal. don't get too hard on them. remember a few things:

- their philosophy is "i only get so many hands, so i have to play them", not "i am beaten, so i fold".

- there are plenty of people dumb enough to reraise in your spot with hands that are not well ahead of two tens.

- when a player has a pocket pair, their mindset shifts to "i'm a favorite over AK" mode.

granted, the AJo play does surprise me more. but remember these games are profitable for a reason, and a lot of people just assume it's bad luck whenever someone else has a better hand. they're keeping the poker games alive, so make 'em feel welcome.

ElSapo
01-18-2004, 12:02 PM
This one is even more baffling. He moves it in with a weak A?

Simple - he doesn't know it's a weak ace.

Savo
01-27-2004, 09:09 AM
A comment i've seen a couple of times on SnG's when players try and justify these horrible calls is something along the lines of
"Of course i'm calling, its only going to cost me $10".....
I guess they remember the one time out of 10 that the call worked and they eventually get third, as opposed to the other nine where they have to look for a new table.....

MattHatter
01-27-2004, 09:25 AM
The wise player would try to induce this sort of behavior in his opponents.

If you have a large stack behind a couple limpers with medium to small stacks... a small raise will often induce them to face off against each other as the pot (even with the small raise) has grown into an all or nothing affair for them. And hey... if you happen to catch some cards, all the better.

Very situational play, but it works.

Later

RollaJ
01-27-2004, 04:28 PM
These types of plays work well in cash games, not so in SNGs. There is certainly something to be said for putting a person to a decision for all their chips